New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Cheap places to get a Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

IJM

IJM is on a distinguished road

So here's my dilemma - I'm considering replacing my 3+ year old Macbook Pro since it's getting older. The actual operating system works perfectly fine, but from time to time a piece like the battery or logic board or monitor casing will crap out, and now that my warantee's expired I don't want to pay top dollar at the Apple Store to get the thing repaired. I figured cutting my losses and just getting a new machine will help save money in the long run.

I'm also pretty broke and need my laptop for work (I'm a self-employed freelance illustrator/graphic artist).

So one question I have is, are there any reputable places, either online or in a physical store, where one can get a Macbook for much cheaper than at the Apple Store?

OR

Is there any way Apple can do a flex payment plan? Can they do it if you have no credit/limited credit? (I'm a recent college grad and that's something I'm working on, but I don't know if it'd make that much of a difference).

Any help is appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

A couple of options here - Apple does have an instant credit app in the store, where if approved, you can print the approval out, take it to the register and complete your purchase. A sales associate can help guide you through that process. I believe it's either 90-days or six months same as cash. Best Buy has an online credit approval process, and they offer 18 months same as cash on purchases of $429 or more.

As far as cheaper prices on Macs, you can check refurbished units from Apple, but most folks who sell new units will be within a few dollars of Apple. That's based on sales agreements with 3rd party vendors.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Short answer: other than Apple's own refurb store, you're not going to find a new Mac ANYWHERE that's substantially lower than Apple's own price -- unless you count Ebay/Craigslist scammers who will just rip you off.
QUOTE Thanks
Guardsix

Guardsix is on a distinguished road

If you qualify, Apple does have a Government store which appears to have discounts on some of their products.

I'm a retired Army Vet and should qualify for their prices. I'm looking at a 15" Macbook Pro with 2.2MHz, HR A/G display 500GB 7200 rpm hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The government discounts are the same as those for students. Also, AAFEES stocks Mac machines at their stores or on line offering the same discount. Actually it's a better deal because there is no sales tax.
QUOTE Thanks
Ballr24

Ballr24 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD

Apple Computer & Accessories from MacMall, The #1 Mac Warehouse is almost always cheaper than Apple.

HP Pavillion G62; 2.10 GHZ, 4GB DDR3 Ram, 320GB HDD. 32GB Apple iPod Touch (4G). LG Gossip.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP Light on constantly | Shutdown during partitioning »