New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

No optical drive but need to do fresh install - HELP!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

north_guy

north_guy is on a distinguished road

I replaced the optical drive with a data doubler kit in my MBP to add some harddrive space as the stock 250g SSD just wasn't big enough. I assumed that my external Macbook Air Superdrive would work to replace my now non-existent optical drive but just found out it does not!!!!

I've sold my laptop and need to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard on the harddrive, but I'm not sure how to do it now that the Superdrive does't work.

Any ideas? I still have the MBP optical drive so can re-install it if I have to - but I reallllllllyyyyy don't want to do that again.
QUOTE Thanks
treyweez11

treyweez11 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 13-inch Mid 2007 | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 3GB Ram | 250GB Hard Drive | 2nd Hard Drive 80GB

This is all you need, im surprised no one has helped you yet.

Install OS X Snow Leopard from a USB flash drive | Maciverse
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

I believe he will still need the optical drive to make the flash boot device. If you have another Mac you could also do a network remote install

Reinstalling software using Remote Install Mac OS X

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Pick up one of these:

Amazon.com: Samsung USB 2.0 8x DVD Writer External Optical Drive for Mac and PC SE-S084D/TSBS (Gloss Black): Electronics

The MacBook Air Superdrive is specific to the MBA, that's why you're having trouble. A generic one like this will work fine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
north_guy

Ok, so I followed the instructions for remote install and was able to get the borrowed optical drive/install CD available on my network(or so the computer advised "The disc is now available on your network" ...I couldn't see it on my network however) - but didn't know what else to do from that point. These are the instructions I followed:

Use Remote Install Mac OS X on another computer whose optical disc drive you want to share to do one of the these tasks on your MacBook Air or Mac mini:

Reinstall Mac OS X, Mac OS X Server, or other software that came with your computer
Reset your password
Use Disk Utility to repair the hard disk
Note: You can also do these tasks using a MacBook Air SuperDrive (available separately from Apple). If your MacBook Air came with the MacBook Air Software Reinstall Drive, use that to reinstall the operating system, iLife, or iWork applications.

To use Remote Install Mac OS X or Mac OS X Server:
Insert the Mac OS X or Mac OS X Server Install Disc into the optical disc drive of the other computer.
If the other computer is a Mac, open /Applications/Utilities/Remote Install Mac OS X. On Windows, choose "Remote Install Mac OS X" from the Install Assistant.
Read the introduction and click Continue.
Choose the install disc you want to use, and click Continue.
Choose a network connection: AirPort, if you are using an AirPort network, or Ethernet, if the other computer is on an Ethernet network and you have an optional Apple USB Ethernet Adapter connecting your MacBook Air or Mac mini to the same network. Click Continue.
Restart your MacBook Air or Mac mini and hold down the Option key as it starts up, until you see a list of available startup disks.
Click Continue in Remote Install Mac OS X.
If you chose AirPort as your network in step 5, on your MacBook Air or Mac mini choose your AirPort network from the pop-up list.
If the network is secure, you will be prompted for a password. You can enter a private network name by choosing the ellipsis (...) and typing the name.
If you chose AirPort as your network in step 5, when you see the AirPort status icon indicating signal strength, click Continue in Remote Install Mac OS X.
You can now reinstall software, reset your password or run Disk Utility using instructions from the User's Guide.

Even the noted guide says "You can now reinstall software, reset your password, etc..... but it doesn't say how I can go about doing that.....anyone able to give me a step by step please!? I'm supposed to be sending this computer out in the mail tomorrow but need to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard before shipping! I did try to remove the spare drive and reinstall the optical but cannot find my Torx screwdriver so this is no longer an option!

Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
north_guy

BUMP - any ideas? I cannot figure this out. Is the remote installation available for all macs or just for the macbook air/mac mini?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Have a read of cwa107's thread which is excellent advice.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
north_guy

Yes that sounds great. I'm up in the Arctic, I have no stores available to me as I'm in a fly in community. So I am unable to buy any kind of external USB drive at this time.

Any other suggestions? If I can't do a fresh install, anyone know of any links that will tell me what I need to erase on the computer to essentially take all of my info off of the computer? Pref files, account info, etc....
QUOTE Thanks
north_guy

BUMP - ?????? Anyone have an idea how I can wipe the drive???? The remote thing is not working - or as I noted I'm not sure what to do once I get to the end of the instructions......

If I can't do that I need to know what I need to erase on the computer to make it 'appear' as if a fresh install was done, at the very least ridding it of my personal information.

HELP! Please!!!
QUOTE Thanks
kdyarb2002

kdyarb2002 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MB Pro 2010 13 inch

Easily Prep Your Mac for Resale

try this approach
QUOTE Thanks
north_guy

I was thinking about this...

Install Snow Leopard from External Firewire or USB Hard Drive: How to Upgrade to Mac OS X 10.6 Without a DVD Drive

and have got the .dmg file of the OS X on my iMac. I just need to get it onto my flashdrive now, but can't figure out how to partition my flashdrive for the GUID Partition Table - there is no "Partition" option in my Disk Utility.

Any Comments?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook screen looks zoomed in after connecting dongle | MacBook Pro freezes »