New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook pro second monitor PLEASE HELP!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scottolds

scottolds is on a distinguished road

Hey there

Ok ive been messing with this for the last 3 hours and im starting to go absolutely insane.

Im running a Macbook pro and have an Acer x193hq monitor as my dual monitor setup. Everything was working sweet for months, but now for some reason i went to plug it in this morning and its not displaying at all.

Ive tried changing every resolution setting possible. Its ment to be able to go up to 1360x768 but when i try to use that resolution i just get a black screen with a message saying there is no signal. I can drag my mouse / windows etc across but of course the monitor is not displaying anything.

When i switch down to 1280x1024 it displays an image but is stretched heaps. Any resolutions below that also display no picture.

Ive tried everything i can think of. Ive cleared my display preferences, done a PRAM restart, Reset my monitor etc yet nothing seems to work. I find it odd that it was working perfectly for close to a year, but now it dosnt seem to work at all.

Searching the intyernet for solutions has got me nowhere, so if any one has any suggestions PLEASE help me out. This is becoming extremely frustrating.

Thanks
Scott
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Try an SMC reset.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
scottolds

Wow thanks! Thats seems to have worked, the size and aspect ratio looks like it has returned to what it should be.

Only problem now, is that it looks like the quality is quite low. The text / icons seems to look very inconsistent but the desktop background still looks crisp. Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Not sure: Maybe attach a screenshot so we can take a look.

Also, head back in and check to make sure the resolution is set properly.

QUOTE Thanks
scottolds

Now whats even more odd, is when i take the screen shot, it looks perfectly fine in the screen shot but still looks wrong on screen.

This is certainly confusing..
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

That would indicate it's not a setting on the computer and it's time to check the settings on the monitor in that case.

edit: A screen shot probably took a shot of your primary screen, not the secondary. Try the command shift 4 screen shot and move it over to the secondary to take a snapshot. I'm assuming you're using extended mode vs mirrored also.

My guess would still be a monitor setting though.

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Are you using the native resolution of the monitor? If not, I've seen these types of issues before.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
scottolds

Yup as far as im aware, im using the monitors native resolution. The size and shape is as it should be, where as when i drop the resolution down, all the other ones look odd and out of shape.

And yes when i took the screen shot i used Cmd+Shift+4 and made sure i was grabbing the second monitor.

I have reset the monitor settings to auto and it still dosnt seem to be working correctly.

Another thing that i find odd is that my resolution on the computer is at 1360x768 (native resolution) but when i open the information screen on my monitor its saying 1280x1024
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Replacing internal drive | Dell v. MBP heat tolerance »