New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Buying New MacBook Pro, Question!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DBrockman13

DBrockman13 is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,

I am about to upgrade my Macbook (the old white version from about 4 years ago) to a new Macbook Pro.

I do not use this computer at school or at a college for audio or graphic arts programs like many users.

I use it for:

Watching Netflix.
Burning CD/DVDs and other media
Surfing the Interwebs
Doing Nerd stuff like visiting this website and Kotaku

So really, the busiest EVER that my Macbook would be, is if I was burning a CD, watching Netlix and surfing the web all at once. And that of course would be the max.

So, my question is, did I make the right decision in the Macbook 13" i5 instead of the i7 for $300 more?

The HD does not matter to me, for I doubt I will EVER fill up 320GB. That is a lot for me! And I even burn my CDs in Apple Lossless.

Please let me know and I can always return it, so feel free to be honest if you think I should have purchased the i7.

Based on what I have researched (like YouTube videos), most people seem to say that for what I will be doing (multi-media while watching my favorite movie on the couch), the i5 version is plenty fast.

Thanks for all of your input, it is VERY helpful!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

For what you listed you are going to use the PC for, i5 is fine. Personally, if watching Netflix is going to be a priority (and it is on the top of the list) then I would have gone for the 15" over the 13".

Filling up 320GB, nope. I cannot see that happening if you stick with that list.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
DBrockman13

Thanks Man!

I really appreciate your help.

That list is not in order, just the way I wrote it, LOL.

I wanted the 13.3" for portablity, I love how small it is.

But yes, I will only be using it for just stuff like that. No complicated or large programs like video editing or that stuff Mac are known for.

I am excited to get a Macbook Pro instead of the plain white macbook. Mine is ugly and dirty!
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

It is surprising how portable my 17" is. It is lighter and thinner than my old 15" HP. 6# and an inch thick is easily portable for me. The thing with the smaller screens, faster eyestrain the longer you use them. That is the biggest reason I would go with the larger size. That and I already have an iPad, so portability isn't that huge an issue.

As to the order - it is amazing how we list things subconsciously in order of importance, even though you think order doesn't matter. Trust me, I do it all the time and see it done all the time as well.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
DBrockman13

That's correct! I actually do use Netflix like crazy! You're probably right on that one.

I do love my Apple products though. I just ordered a new Ipod Classic, I still think they make a GREAT iPod.
QUOTE Thanks
Young Spade

Young Spade is on a distinguished road

Any MB that they sell will be able to handle whatever you throw at it from a basic consumer standpoint. From the things you listed, you won't have any trouble running.

Heck, I'm using an old BlackBook from 08 that I'm thinking about selling and it does everything fine. HD video, photo editing; anything I want it to do, it can handle.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

You can always connect your MB or MBP to a larger monitor or TV for viewing Netflix movies. I used to do that until I got a new TV with the Netflix app built in.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
bolt

bolt is on a distinguished road

microcenter in BOS has NEW 13" MBPros, for 799.00, refurbed for more than what you need. Smart. Addressing your needs not wants.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Air 11" Screen Size | MacBook pro sudden lag while playing games. »