New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Advice needed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mari@

Hi, I've decided to get a 12" ibook (I've sooo fallen in love with it) but I still have one last doubt and I would very much appreciate if you could give me some advice.
Since the 12" doesn't come with a superdrive (and I gather that iDVD now works with external burners and creates img files) I was thinking that maybe I could get an external burner. My questions therefore are:

1) Can you suggest some external burners that work well with both Macs and PCs? ('cause I also have a Desktop PC and I would use it with both)

but most importantly:

2) In case I decided to get an internal burner for my PC, would I still be able to burn an iDVD img (transferred via Lan on the PC) with Nero, Alcohol or the likes?

Thanks to all of you who will be so kind as to help me unravel this doubt

P.S. Some of you may wonder why I haven't considered a 14"... It's just that, right now, portability is my top priority.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

1. I'll leave it to some of the other posters here to give their opinions on DVD writers. I know the LaCie drives get a lot of rave reviews here.

2. You need to convert the iDVD file to a standard ISO image before transferring it to your PC. Fortunately, the tool to do this is built into the Mac. Directions can be found here.

...and nobody's gonna question your decision on buying a 12". I did, and it's perfect for me. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
mari@

Thank you so much! Now I can buy the 12" with no regrets...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will my iBook operate in Dual-Channel? | Does the iBook battery last longer than the PowerBook's? »