New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Firewire Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GH56IRISH

GH56IRISH is on a distinguished road

Hi,

New to the board. Have a question regarding the use of a firewire cable to link a Mac Book Pro with a iMac.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the process.

1. Make sure the MBP is off and connect the FW cable to it.
2. Boot up and press the T key unitl the FW logo is on the screen.
3. Make sure the iMac is on and logged in...then connect the FW cable to it.

The hard drive from the MBP should be accessible on the iMac now...right?

The reason I'm doing this is because my hard drive is corrupted on the MBP and I need to back up the users before I reinstall the software.

When I look at the System Preferences on the iMac under Network it says the "Built-in firewire cable" is not detected.

Hope I'm just missing a step or have overlooked something simple.

Any help would be great!

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Make sure the cable you're using is the correct one. In other words, if the FW ports are different. (FW 800 vs FW 400)

If that checks out, follow the directions given in the Apple KB to boot the MBP in Target disk mode and extract the data to the iMac hard drive.

See this LINK.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

FW 800 is backwards compatible with FW400. The only thing it'll do is slow to the slowest speed (in fact, if you daisy chain them you can have FW800 devices responding at full speed with a 400 at the tail end of the chain).

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
GH56IRISH

GH56IRISH is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys.

I'll trouble shoot it more tonight.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Empty ProApps Folder???? | Best Firewire External Hard-Drive for Mac? »