New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Charger Issue, Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frser32

frser32 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone! It would be great if anyone could help me out here!
So the last couple of days on my charger the white encasing started to peel away at a point, this widened and the wire inside was exposed. I placed duck tape over this, i then plugged it into the macbook. Firstly, i noticed now that the charger was not working at all, there was what appeared to be an orange light and a smell like a blown fuse. I looked at the charger, and the wires inside were all shredded up, i guess this reders the charger useless. I have ordered a replacement with Apple online. However, i worry that the megsafe might be broken because of this? im going to try another charger of a friends tomorrow to see. There is a slight "blown fuse" smell from the megsafe area, could it have been affected? I hope not as i just had the megsafe dc board replaced for 150. Any help really appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It sounds like the MagSafe charger unit itself may have developed a short and burned through the wiring. If you ordered a replacement from Apple it will include the entire unit not just the cable.
QUOTE Thanks
frser32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
It sounds like the MagSafe charger unit itself may have developed a short and burned through the wiring. If you ordered a replacement from Apple it will include the entire unit not just the cable.
Thank's for the reply. Today, my friend has a Macbook Air with the 45w charger. I plugged it into my magsafe and there was no response. Should it still be working with my macbook, or is it my worse fear that the magsafe is fried?
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

I do not think you can use 45w charger to charge macbook, should be 60w or 85w.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That's correct. The MagSafe charger from a MacBook Air is not going to work and in fact may damage the 45W charger. As the other reply stated you need a minimum of 60W. The MBP 85W charger can also be used.
QUOTE Thanks
frser32

I sent the Macbook away to be looked at. The repair company replaced the DC board already last month. They said that there is no problem with the magsafe, and that the logic board may be the problem. In such a case, its probably going to cost me a good 600/700 to repair apparently. Do people think this is an accurate diagnosis? If so, should i even bothar with the repair? I mean i could buy another laptop for far cheaper an amount, even though i do love my macbook!
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by frser32 View Post
I sent the Macbook away to be looked at. The repair company replaced the DC board already last month. They said that there is no problem with the magsafe, and that the logic board may be the problem. In such a case, its probably going to cost me a good 600/700 to repair apparently. Do people think this is an accurate diagnosis? If so, should i even bothar with the repair? I mean i could buy another laptop for far cheaper an amount, even though i do love my macbook!
To make life easier for yourself, why not get a new magsafe ? it is going to cost you less than the 600/700 price you quoted. Try this magsafe on the macbook, see how well it work, if does not work then you have spare magsafe, you can always use for future macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

You might want to speak to the service manager. Repairs carry a 90-day warranty (at least at the Apple Stores, not certain about 3rd party repairs). It's possible they could link the repair to the previous one, call it a rework, and cover the repair under the 90-day service coverage. Since the previous issue was a failed DC-board (i.e., electrical issues), it's certainly possible the logic board could have been damaged by the same electrical issue.
QUOTE Thanks
frser32

Thanks once again for the great info! The Mac Technician said the magsafe isnt the problem he tried another magsafe in the laptop and the problem was still not fixed. Which lead him to believe the logic board is the issue. On their website they have a " no fix - no fee" policy, I paid 150 for the magsafe to repaired only for a similar issue to reoccur once again 3 weeks later. They also say they have a "genuine spare with manufacturer warranty 3 months to a year on all systems repaired" I have a feeling there is a link as the poster above said between the magsafe failing and the logic board. Am i reasonable to assume this?
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Based on the information above, I'd say yes. If they give you any difficulty about calling this a repeat repair, contact Apple customer relations, explain the situation to them, provide them with the repair number so they can review it, and they can work with the shop on your behalf.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro cracked screen | Will new MBA's performance be pretty much on par with base MBP? »