New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Installed Seagate 750gb 7200rpm drive, SLIGHT humming..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

whitehorse84

whitehorse84 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro

Hey guys and gals!

I just installed a 750gb 7200rpm seagate momentus drive. Got it for $69 so I COULD not pass that up.

Install went great, restored from time machine, and all is well.. noticed it to be a bit quicker and snappier (may just be because I only had 40gb left on my 320gb original 5400rpm drive).

I DID notice this morning though (and I can't remember if I just didn't notice it before hand) that there was a slight hum, very similar to a fan noise.. and if i rest my hand over the drive area it quiets down a bit. No vibration can be felt though.

Is this normal? it certainly doesn't bother me but the last thing i want is a failure.

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

Doesn't sound normal to me. Should be quiet, like only hear it in a totally quiet room, quiet. I would open up and recheck the seating of the drive, any missing or loose screws.

Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Humming is fine, it's clicking that is bad.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

whitehorse84 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro

thanks guys.

quin.. the ONLY time I can hear it is in a silent room... Example, I noticed it this morning because I woke up to a quiet room.. pulled my laptop onto my bed to respond to an email really quick and could hear it.. if i'm tying I can't hear it.. only if the room is dead silent and the computer is idle.
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehorse84 View Post
thanks guys.

quin.. the ONLY time I can hear it is in a silent room... Example, I noticed it this morning because I woke up to a quiet room.. pulled my laptop onto my bed to respond to an email really quick and could hear it.. if i'm tying I can't hear it.. only if the room is dead silent and the computer is idle.
Yeah, you're like me. I kind of 'freaked out' a little too after I installed my Hitachi 7200 rpm HDD. Compared to the original 5400 rpm drive, the 7200 rpm drive gives a little 'tickle' under the palm rest with vibration and a slight hum with no ambient noises around. Since then I don't even noticed it anymore, and wouldn't notice the difference if the two drive are not side by side to compare. With the price so cheap for a 7200 rpm and the almost identical noise, vibration, and reliability, more people should go with the 7200rpm drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Screen won't turn on. | Space Bar Problems »