New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Battery dead, then hard drive error

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

timetostopmac

timetostopmac is on a distinguished road

My 12" Powerbook G4 PPC (1.5 GhZ) is giving me some trouble.

I did the Apple Hardware Test and got this error when doing the Mass Storage section:

2STF/8/3: ATA-100 ata-6 -Master

I did a 7-pass on the hard drive, reinstalled the OS, then successfully repaired permissions.

S.M.A.R.T. status now shows "verified" but when I do the Apple Hardware Test again, I still get back the same error message (
2STF/8/3: ATA-100 ata-6 -Master)

My battery died a little while before all of this, and I've been using it with the power adapter only. Could this be the cause for the hard drive trouble, or do I definitely need to buy both a new battery and a new hard drive?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

My guess would be that both need to be replaced. The computer itself is more than five years old, and things are beginning to break. A battery, retail, would cost between $100-130, while a hard drive could be found for probably around $50-70. At this point, it could last another couple of years with a new battery and hard drive, or it could end up costing more than it's worth, especially if something else breaks in the near future. Given it's age, I'd strongly recommend an upgrade strategy in the near future.
QUOTE Thanks
timetostopmac

timetostopmac is on a distinguished road

Dammit all to ****.... hehehe

Oh well, thanks for the reply. I guess I have to decide whether I should fix this old powerbook or just buy a new laptop.

Can you tell me how I would go about finding a replacement battery and hard drive? Do I just type the serial numbers into google and see what comes up, or is there a standard site for these kinds of things?

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenStranger View Post
My guess would be that both need to be replaced. The computer itself is more than five years old, and things are beginning to break. A battery, retail, would cost between $100-130, while a hard drive could be found for probably around $50-70. At this point, it could last another couple of years with a new battery and hard drive, or it could end up costing more than it's worth, especially if something else breaks in the near future. Given it's age, I'd strongly recommend an upgrade strategy in the near future.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Any 9.5mm 2.5" ATA drive should be fine. You can install a 160GB drive, but if I recall, the ATA-100 controller won't recognize more than about 132GB. Doesn't hurt anything, just wastes about 28GB. OtherWorld Computing Search Results for 2.5 hard drive at MacSales.com has the 160GB drive for $75. They also have an aftermarket battery for the 12" PBG4 for $99 NewerTech BAP12AL52RS NuPower 56 Watt-Hour Battery... in stock at OWC .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook dead... :-( | Something I am not seeing »