New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook HD, RAM size?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ned B

Ned B is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 3.0 Ghz C2D 4G Ram

Hey gang,
I'm shopping the used MB market at the moment, I travel for work, and I'm mainly looking for a better option than my iPod Touch for email, movies, light duty photo editing and such while on the road. I don't need cutting edge speed or storage. My question is, how much is 'enough' for basic needs...

At the moment, budget and the 'market' say 2.0 Ghz with about 84Gig HD and 1G of Ram in a black 13" MB

I know the Ram will need updating later, but the HD is the question.

Oh, and yes, I could get an iPad, but I am opting for a laptop so I can also play DVDs.

Thanks for any/all advice.

Ned
QUOTE Thanks
infiniteloop12

infiniteloop12 is on a distinguished road

I believe the hard drive is replaceable, no? For not much money you could get a 160gb drive and swap it yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
Ned B

Ned B is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 3.0 Ghz C2D 4G Ram

That's what I've found too... which opens up other options, Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Young Spade

Young Spade is on a distinguished road

Upgrade the RAM, then the HDD, IMO. Upping the RAM will make the overall experience faster and more enjoyable, allowing you to run more programs in the background without your system slowing down.

Adding a faster HDD will increase the speed of your opening applications and overall speed of the system. You'll see a more noticeable increase with more RAM though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hi-res vs regular glossy widescreen display | MacBook Pro gaming question »