New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro 15", A good gaming choice?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

davyvfr

davyvfr is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2012; Intel i5, Intel HD 4000, 500gb HDD, 13'' screen

I know MacBook aren't the best for gaming. But I've been thinking, and it caught my attention that a refurbished MacBook Pro 15" with the i7 2720QM (2.2GHZ) would only cost me $1869 which isn't a bad deal at all. However, I have a few concerns that might just be a problem:

The first problem I see is heat. Hopefully it doesn't get hot when running basic task like Office 2011 or email. Gaming would obviously cause the temps to be raised. Does this laptop get abnormally hot when doing basic task?

The next problem I see is weight. I will be carrying this around the college campus with me and I will need to set it on my lap for classes. Will it be to heavy to put on ones' lap?

And finally is performance. I will not be needing this laptop for photo editing or iMovie at all. I mainly want to use it to run a few late gaming titles. For someone who has this laptop, is it necessary to get the i7 2820QM (2.3GHZ) and the better screen? (Antiglare and Higher Res).

These are the specs as follows;

Originally released February 2011
i7 Quad Core (2720QM @ 2.2GHZ)
15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
750GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVDR DL/DVDRW/CD-RW)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Thanks for reading and a special thanks to those who reply

Onlive Gaming is the Future!
QUOTE Thanks
cjj14u

cjj14u is on a distinguished road

A macbook pro in any configuration is really not the best choice for gaming.

Will it run high end games? Sure, but the performance will not be great and on high settings they have a tendency to overheat....

27" iMac i5, 2.66, 8GB, 1TB / 21.5" iMac i5 Quad, 2.5, 4GB, 500GB / 15" 2011 15" MBP, 2.2 i7 quad, 8gb, 512gb SSD, Hi Res, AG / 13" MBP, 2.66 C2D, 8GB, 500GB Hybrid / iPad1, 64gb, 3G AT&T
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj14u View Post
A macbook pro in any configuration is really not the best choice for gaming.
I'll agree with that.

Quote:
on high settings they have a tendency to overheat....
I'll totally disagree with that. They do not tend to overheat.

Overheat implies that it would run hotter than it was designed to be run. That is just simply not the case. Is it going to get hot while stressing the CPU and/or GPU, most definitely. Is it going to overheat, which would cause the machine to shut down on it's own before any damage is done? Definitely not.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I'll agree with that.

I'll totally disagree with that. They do not tend to overheat.

Overheat implies that it would run hotter than it was designed to be run. That is just simply not the case. Is it going to get hot while stressing the CPU and/or GPU, most definitely. Is it going to overheat, which would cause the machine to shut down on it's own before any damage is done? Definitely not.
I second this!

If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
hutch21

hutch21 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13MBP 2.4GHz Duo, 4 GB DDR3, Geforce 320M, 250GB HD

Those specs will be fine for games, not the best but it will work. What games will you be playing?

Need more Overlords!
QUOTE Thanks
hardcase

hardcase is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17inch MBP, core i7 2.2ghz, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, 8gb ddr3 ram, matt display

ok so i see that people think the new macbook pros with quad core i7 processor would handle any game and it should as would a desktop with the equivilant chip. the problem is that the mac book does not have adequate cooling for the chip soo.. the chip automatically clocks its self to prevent going over 100%. on the latest i7 17inch macbook pro (which is what i have) i see max 35% cpu usage and 99 degrees celcius on all four cores playing battlefield 3.it will run on around 30-50fps on low settings. i have a laptop cooler which does little so essentialy this is how it works

High grade processor creates more heat-computer reduces the usage to regulate temp-which means lower fps now matter how good your chips are.

If the laptop cooling reduced the temperature the processor would work harder. simple.

laptops arent so good for gaming due to form factor and cooling.
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

Andres87 will become famous soon enough

I would just get an Alienware, I can play Dirt 2 and other games on my MBP but if I wanted something to play on all the time I would just go with a M14X or something like that.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcase View Post

laptops arent so good for gaming due to form factor and cooling.
Yep..

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
hardcase

hardcase is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17inch MBP, core i7 2.2ghz, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, 8gb ddr3 ram, matt display

i would only recommend a high end laptop if you really have to have the portability. say if you were a freelance editor or media creator. a desktop is more affordable, easily upgradable and can be adapted to suit new uses. an alienware just like the mbp is marketed as if they are as good as a desktop or better but they simply are not.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The most extreme series of Mods Ever Done To A Powerbook G4 Titanium | Is there anyone who could upgrade my hard drive for me ? »