New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Installed a new HD, quick question.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

whitehorse84

whitehorse84 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro

hey guys and gals.

Just installed a seagate momentus 750gb 7200rpm drive.. replacing my 320gb 5400rpm drive.

I restored via time machine (didn't do a clean install, just went right to the restore option after formatting the drive in disc utility).. restore took about 3 hours I'd say..

I did notice 2 things.. does it take a bit for the computer to feel "snappier"?.. i know that I didn't install an SSD.. but does the new drive need time to "catch up"?

also.. does anyone know how much of an impact this may have on my battery from the 5400 to 7200rpm drive?

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

As far as the battery life part, it should be a minimal decrease at best.

I have done the same thing with q time machine backup and put in the new drive and restored to the new drive. After maybe 1-2 reboots it was fast as can be.

Did you boot from the OSX install DVD and select restore from time machine backup from the menu?
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

yes sir. I haven't even done a restart yet.. my spotlight is currently "indexing" and it says it needs 2 hours.. and i'm importing 2,200 photos into iPhoto so I'll wait until that's done to give it a couple restarts and see what happens
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The spotlight indexing will slow it way down! After its finished reboot and I bet it will be fast as ever.
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

just rebooted.. it's way quick!

thank you again for the heads up on that..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« In need of a printer for new macbook pro. | Recognizing external HD »