New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Noob questions about mac notebooks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

blackmagicxx

blackmagicxx is on a distinguished road

Hi, Im in the market for a notebook computer i was thinking about a mac.
I have a couple of questions that might seem retarded but I would like to know..

1. Can windows be installed? or is there a mod to run windows based programs on the os x?

2. Im not sure what 512 L2 cache @ 1.4 GHz means.. I know what the ghz is, but the L2 512?
Just wondering what that would compare to?
Like i have a 1.8 gh intel right now, wondering how the G4 with 1.4 would compare to it?

any help would be good.
tks, cya.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

1) windows can not be installed as a primary operating system, however there is VPC wich will allow you to run your windows based programs on the mac.. this can be bought for 250$ an under depending on which operating system you want to come with it or if you want to use your own version of windows you already own with it.
2) L2 Chaches is the amount of cache you have on the level 2 of the proccessor I believe, I don't actually know that just what I always thought the L stood for and the next person (probably devilboy) who answers this will give you very specific answers on what this is, and I too, will learn from what they say.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
jamestuttard

L2 Cache is an amount of very fast RAM located inside the proccessor. because RAM (even the DDR Stuff) is so slow in comparison to the things going on inside the proccessor it makes a lot of sence to have a nice large amount of quick access stuff inside the proccessor, to act as a buffer for the data coming in from the RAM. ie the date goes from the RAM to L3 (if there is any) into the L2 - which is nice and big, then goes into the L1 etc when the proccessor needs it.

now practically what does this mean? it means that the more L2 you got, the faster the computer goes, i'm talking about a very real speed kick all atributed to what seems like a small amount of RAM. 512Kb has become the standard size, Intel and AMD use only 256Kb on thier budget models, and thats one of the reason they are so slow. the more expensive proccessors have 512 or more, I think the itanium's and Zeons have 1 Mb or more of L2 - very high performace. If I remember correctly the G5 comes with 1 Mb.

so more L2 = faster proccessor.

hope that helps!

btw just got my first mac, an iBook and its Stunning!
QUOTE Thanks
blackmagicxx

Ok makes some sence, Any idea how a 1.4 gh with the l2 cache would compare to 1.8 gh..
Im just trying to figure it out, The notebooks seem pricey and the highest they go is 1.67gh or something like that. Or is the G4 processor just super charged? lol
QUOTE Thanks
blackmagicxx

nevermind, couple posts down answered my question.
If anyone can personally compare from experience please post.
a g4 to a intel processer
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

there is simply no comparison between an intel and a powerpc processor. their architectures are very different. the power pc is more efficient at processing and will appear to be faster because of that. IMO the are roughly the same.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ibook question. | 12" powerbook... »