making noises after DROPPED!
    I have a MacbookPro that I accidentally tipped off the side of a counter about 3-4 feet in height. It runs completely fine except that when I wake it up from sleep it makes loud noises that seem to be coming from the disc drive for about 10 seconds.

Other than this being annoying to me and others around me, is this a potential serious problem? I don't know anything about hard drives or logic boards but could there be damage in those areas? Can this be fixed?

It's about 2 years old so I'm assuming the warranty is up...

Help is much appreciated, thanks!

Specs:
    Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
    I had a very similar problem and found out that I had bent the chassis of my MBP a little which meant that the disk drive would vibrate against the outer casing. It hasn't caused me any problems for the last 6 months.

Zigdog

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Regardless, if you don't have a backup of your HD suggest you make one ASAP. External HDDs are cheap are priceless if it keeps you from losing irreplaceable photos and files.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    Are you sure it's the hdd and not the cd-drive? If it's the hdd, you should do a backup(if you can) just in case, but I doubt it's the hdd. It's most likely that something in the cd-drive jarred loose, or possibly bent. If it's out of warranty, the cd-drive(optical drive) can easily be removed to check this out. If the noise is gone, you know the problem.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Thanks for the replies....and yes I do actually think it's the cd-drive. Was just scared if that was damaged that other things would be too. I am not planning on removing it myself since I don't know anything about taking apart a computer. Definitely a good idea to backup the HD...haven't done that.

Zigdog do you just live with the noise then? It's pretty annoying.

I found this link which is exactly my problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/messag...sageID=7058967

where people replaced the drive...does anyone know how expensive something like that would cost?

I'm scared to try putting cds in because one person posted that it wouldn't eject and made even more noise.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Replacing the drive may do no good -- the reason its making that noise is that you bent the frame. Unless the repair people UNbend the frame, you're just going to have a new optical drive making the same noise.

And yes, DO NOT put any discs into the drive until you get this issue resolved!

Specs:
    Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
    Mine isn't very loud. The only issue is that the CD-drive sometimes srtuggles to fully eject a CD. But yes, I just live with it.

Zigdog

Okay yeah that makes sense that it's the frame that is bent. 2 days ago I opened it up and it didn't make the noise...and hasn't since! Everything seems to be fine so I'll just do a backup in case I decide to be clumsy again. Haven't tried putting any cds in but I don't use it much anyway so I guess I'll see what happens when it becomes necessary.
    Thanks SO much for all the replies, I appreciate it!!

Thread Information