New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro gaming question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Danielk85

Danielk85 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPad 2 16gb wifi, iMac 21.5 3.2GHz i3 5670, 2008 MacBook, iPhone 3Gs

I'm in the market for a MacBook pro. Since money is definitely an issue, I was wondering what I could get away with buying and still get the performance I'm hoping for. I'm hoping to be able to do some serious graphics heavy gaming(#1 on the list is X3: Terran Conflict). I've only recently gotten into gaming and until recently my MacBook has been fine for my needs. Now it seems I'm going to need something with a bit more capability. It'll be my main computer for all other needs, but I definitely want to play graphics heavy games on it. Keeping a minimal budget in mind, what would be the best MBP choice for me? Also, I'm not a huge computer wiz when it comes to technical specs and lingo, so please just pretend you're explaining things to a small child or something. thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The best MBP for gaming is going to be one that offers the best graphics and CPU speed. MacWorld Magazine just recently published benchmarks for the latest MBP machines. Go to their website and look for the article and you can compare which would be best for gaming.
QUOTE Thanks
Danielk85

I appreciate the reply. I kind of assumed that the newer, more expensive MBPs will ultimately be the best for gaming. I've always been a Mac user but I'm definitely a noob when it comes to tech specs and such. I'm sorry, but things like "benchmarks" pretty much mean nothing to me at this point.

I guess what I'm asking is would a new but low-end or a used but mid-range MBP be something I could enjoyably play X3, CoD, etc. on? Would the FPS rate be acceptable? I'm just trying to not break the bank while still getting the gaming performance I want. Maybe that's asking a bit too much?
QUOTE Thanks
Dutchlimits

Dutchlimits is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M

To be honest, if you buy a macbook for games i don't really see the point. Yes mine runs GTA4 fine on medium (Check my specs on the left), but these notebooks arn't made for this, they just run very hot when you play high end games (above 90 degrees Celsius). You would be better off with a iMac/Mac Pro since it'll be able to run better hardware and will run less hotter.

OR:
It hurts me to say this, buy a Windows machine.

Life longer, save some headache, get yourself a mac
QUOTE Thanks
qwagmire

qwagmire is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac i7 2.93 1TB 8GB 2011 15" MBP 2.2 256SSD 8GB iPhone4 32GB iPad 64GB 3G

For serious gaming there are few current MBP choices that have a 1GB video card, so under a budget it would be hard. 1GB is the jump off point for most serious games to run close to full graphics.

I would look at a generation or two older MBP's, they had some decent 512MB video cards.

Also be near a power connection, because the big video card going full bore creates heat and draws lots of power.

I wish you luck, serious gaming and any laptop usually equals $$$$
QUOTE Thanks
Danielk85

Okay thanks. I'm even ok with getting a desktop(especially if a laptop is going to reach surface-of-the-sun type temperatures), and it doesn't have to be fresh out of the box new. Perhaps an iMac that's a generation or two old? I realize I'm going to be dropping some dollars no matter what, just trying to keep from dropping ALL of my dollars.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.
QUOTE Thanks
qwagmire

qwagmire is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac i7 2.93 1TB 8GB 2011 15" MBP 2.2 256SSD 8GB iPhone4 32GB iPad 64GB 3G

I have a 2010 iMac and it runs World of Warcraft pretty well with the graphics turned almost all the way up.

I have a friend with a 21 inch model that travels for 2 or 3 months at a time to various jobsites and he made a transport case for his iMac. He refers to it as his "big" laptop, so thats a very viable option.
QUOTE Thanks
Danielk85

Wish I could rename this thread since my question has changed a bit. Also, I realize that the appropriate thread that this belongs in is no longer this one, but I don't want to break any forum rules by reposting in a different section.

Ok, so my budget has gone up a bit and I'm thinking about getting a new 21.5 inch iMac. I'm talking about the baseline, low end, but brand new. (can't afford the 27in and probably not the more expensive version of the 21.5") I've been trying to do research, but I seem to be coming across a lot of conflicting reviews of it's gaming capability. Some say it's awful, some say it's totally fine. I don't know what to believe and I want to be sure of what I'm getting before I spend the money. If anyone has comments on their experience with gaming on a new low end iMac, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Dutchlimits

Dutchlimits is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk85 View Post
Wish I could rename this thread since my question has changed a bit. Also, I realize that the appropriate thread that this belongs in is no longer this one, but I don't want to break any forum rules by reposting in a different section.

Ok, so my budget has gone up a bit and I'm thinking about getting a new 21.5 inch iMac. I'm talking about the baseline, low end, but brand new. (can't afford the 27in and probably not the more expensive version of the 21.5") I've been trying to do research, but I seem to be coming across a lot of conflicting reviews of it's gaming capability. Some say it's awful, some say it's totally fine. I don't know what to believe and I want to be sure of what I'm getting before I spend the money. If anyone has comments on their experience with gaming on a new low end iMac, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
I think in your case a second hand iMac with better specs would be a better choice. There are enough on the market that work just as new.

Life longer, save some headache, get yourself a mac
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

If your primary purpose is gaming, my recommendation is build a PC. you can build one that will play all your games on high for about 900. A MBP that does the same will cost you at least two grand.

If you want portability, look at Alienware. I just think a Macbook, for your uses, would be a waste of money, expecially if it is tight.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook HD, RAM size? | MBPro 2011 Random Shut-offs and Battery Problems »