Thread: Red Motherboard

Red Motherboard

Red Motherboard
    I have a Macbook Pro A1129. The 2.4 GHZ laptop has a red motherboard and an extra connector on the left side toward the display. What's the deal?

Red Motherboard
    Specs:
    Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
    I'm assuming this computer was purchased second-hand. The red logic board, as I understand it, is a prototype board, used for testing before the final green board goes into production. A number of these have made their way from Apple and ended up in the secondary market over the years. Odds are, if it ever needs service, you're going to be out of luck. Prototype units are usually considered non-serviceable by Apple technicians.

Red Motherboard

Thanks, that makes sense.

Red Motherboard
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*
    Can you post a pic(if you have one)? I actually really want to see one! I've been hearing about red boards, but no one ever posts a pic!
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Red Motherboard
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
    Can you post a pic(if you have one)? I actually really want to see one! I've been hearing about red boards, but no one ever posts a pic!
    Here's one...

PROTOTYPE - Apple 17" MacBook Pro - Red Motherboard - Prototype MacBook Pro Emerges on eBay, Boasts Red Motherboard - Softpedia

And I'm kind of surprised to hear you say that they're ordinarily green. This MacBook Pro and the two that preceded it were both dark blue.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Red Motherboard
    Specs:
    Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    And I'm kind of surprised to hear you say that they're ordinarily green. This MacBook Pro and the two that preceded it were both dark blue.
    Good point, and you're right. I've been at this so long, all motherboards are green, even if they aren't! LOL

Red Motherboard
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Here's one...

PROTOTYPE - Apple 17" MacBook Pro - Red Motherboard - Prototype MacBook Pro Emerges on eBay, Boasts Red Motherboard - Softpedia

Oh, cool! Reminds of some ATi boards. I dig it! I think I like the sweet looking blue board on my G5 PowerMac the most though!
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Thread Information