New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Power-Up Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the5thstring

the5thstring is on a distinguished road

Yesterday, while my MacBook clamshell was shut and in sleep mode, the battery died out. Ever since I charged it with the AC Adapter, it's behavior has changed in two ways -
(a) When I shut the clamshell the notebook goes in to sleep mode, which is normal. However, when I re-open the clamshell, it does not automatically come on. I have to press the power button to start it again
(b) To power up the notebook, it does not respond to pressing the power button once. I have to keep it pressed for a few seconds till the power light starts to blink and only then does it come on

What could be the reason for this happening? Possible solution?

thanks,
Kunal
QUOTE Thanks
the5thstring

The reason I've posted this here is I'm unsure whether it's a hardware or OS issue. Apologies if it's the wrong forum.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Somehow your other post has gotten lost in the shuffle between forums.

Let's continue from this forum and this thread....

You stated that you reset the SMC but it did not cure the problem. A SMC reset should have worked to restore the power button and sleep feature. Let's try this time to do a PRAM reset. See this LINK. If that doesn't work, your battery may be acting up. How old is the battery and how many charge - recharge cycles are on it?

Post back to this thread.
QUOTE Thanks
the5thstring

Hey,

Tried the PRAM reset just now - hasn't worked either.
My MacBook is exactly a year old with its original battery. Its health is 95% and cycles are 194
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The battery is likely OK then. Is your MacBook still under warranty or extended Apple Care? If it is, take it on in and let Apple run a diagnostic on it. Like I said above, that should have been resolved by a SMC reset. Of course if something else is wrong that's not going to work. It could be the DC input board acting up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro Apple Store deals? | Macbook '06: Black screen, disk drive noise over and over again, no chime. »