New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Noob help with MacBook pro - to buy or not to buy?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Big Dogg

Big Dogg is on a distinguished road

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and need some help. I would usually search forums before putting a post up, but I wasn't sure what to search for with the issues I need help with.

Anywho, problem is as follows: I've wanted a mac for quite some time now, but haven't bought one due to their high price. I've been offered 13" MacBook pro (2GHz, 2GB ram, 500GB HDD -not sure of age) very cheap (160). I was told it needs a new PSU just, as it's missing. That isn't an issue as they're only 17 on eBay. I borrowed a PSU to try it out earlier this evening and it did boot up, but we couldnt get past the admin password. We found a guide online how to get around this, but there is a part of the LCD that has 'leaked', so this would need replaced. I think they're around 60-70 to order online. Aside from those 2 things, after we booted it up and turned it off, when trying to turn it back on, it just made a sound like a disc spinning, then the monitor blinked on, then off and the laptop died. It would do this each time we tried to turn it on. If you hold the power button down, it would make a loud beep, then boot up properly. This issue concerns me most as I don't know what's causing it (I'm a compete noob to macs). Some ideas I have as to what could be causing this: with the battery being completely flat, before we plugged the charger in tonight, maybe there just isn't enough power to boot up properly (would maybe need a good full charge?); other idea - the battery is on it's way out?

Anyways, can you shed any light on what might cause that last issue and overall, would you buy the MacBook?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Chris
QUOTE Thanks
Moss

Moss is a jewel in the roughMoss is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

Simply put, no. I'd not buy the machine. I'm not one to mess with much hardware when I don't have to, and for that reason, I would personally pass.

Facebook|Twitter
If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new macbook pro 15' gaming capability? | Thinking about purchasing new Powerbook g4 »