New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New MacBookPro with hi res screen is low res when projected

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chloe Photo

Chloe Photo is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I've been using my new MacBookPro 8,2 (2.2GHz) with various projectors and the images that appear sharp on my laptop screen are blurry on the projected screen. I've tried different file formats (pdf, jpeg, tif and psd) as well as viewing through different applications but the projected image remains blurry.
It doesn't seem to be a projector problem, as I've tried connecting other people's computers and the image is sharp. Perhaps it is a problem with my computer's default internal settings when connected to a projector?
Can anyone suggest what might solve this issue?
Thanks a lot
QUOTE Thanks
thurstmw

thurstmw has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333

What are you using to connect it to the projectors? VGA, DVI, HDMI? A lot of projectors just aren't very good. Colors and lighting become terrible though I usually think the sharpness is reasonable, not great though.

Yes that is a grizzlycorn
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Did you open System Preferences - Displays and set the correct resolution for the projector?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Chloe Photo

Using mini VGA, and the problem shouldn't be the projector as when someone else plugged their macbook into the same projector, the image came out sharp.

And Bobtomay, in response to your question, I did open system preferences but it wouldnt let me change resolution of projector, only my own screen. The other resolution options for the projector were greyed out, so something like 800 x 600 was only option. It seems like when the two are connected, the resolution defaults to a low value. Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks for your responses so far.
QUOTE Thanks
duncanbrodie1

duncanbrodie1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe Photo View Post
Using mini VGA,
This is why.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

What resolution does the projector accept via it's mini-VGA input? This should be in the owner's manual. And this other MB, what resolution were they using?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Chloe Photo

I think they were using 1024 x 768.
As I said, I'd switch it to that on my computer, but that didn't seem to affect the projector resolution, even though the projector was meant to be much higher, it was somehow defaulting to the lowest res....?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help with new memory - works then forces manual shutdown | macbook pro advice for masters architecture student. HELP! »