New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Fans with 6000 rpm

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dmt

dmt is on a distinguished road

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...0609at110.png/
QUOTE Thanks
dmt

I have MBP15. My fans are allways on 6000 rpm. I am not using many resources and it's still allways between 5500-6000 rpm. Is it normal? What;s wrong with my MBP15 ?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Year, model, of the MBP? Fans running at full speed can be caused by several things. Defective temperature sensors or logic board problems. The first thing to do is a SMC reset. See the following LINK.

From the Apple KB:

Fans
The computer's fans run at high speed although the computer is not experiencing heavy usage and is properly ventilated.

Please do not double post the same subject. Keep it in one thread as that will make it easier to provide answers. Your threads have been combined.
QUOTE Thanks
dmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Year, model, of the MBP? Fans running at full speed can be caused by several things. Defective temperature sensors or logic board problems. The first thing to do is a SMC reset. See the following LINK.

From the Apple KB:

Fans
The computer's fans run at high speed although the computer is not experiencing heavy usage and is properly ventilated.

Please do not double post the same subject. Keep it in one thread as that will make it easier to provide answers. Your threads have been combined.
MacBook Pro (Early 2008)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Did you try resetting the SMC as I suggested?
QUOTE Thanks
dmt

Never did it before.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt View Post
Never did it before.
OK - let me explain how this works.... you present a problem, we reply with suggestions for fixes. You try them and report back as to whether they work. We'll continue this process until the issue is solved. Got it?

Now that we've gotten that down, we need to know if that did the trick. Thanks.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

how about a screenshot of your Activity Monitor as well?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
dmt

I'll try SMC reset and then I'll write results, but before it

Here it is my activity monitor, maybe you see something wrong. Thanks

Imageshack - screenshot20110611at337.png
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There is nothing there - but you should be highlighting the CPU column in order to see which processes are using the CPU.

But do the SMC reset first.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dmt

I did SMC and Now Running New Fresh Installed Lion, but it's the same 6ooo rpm
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You're probably going to have it run like that until Spotlight finishes it's indexing.

Fresh install?
Is that a clean install or an upgrade install?

If not a clean install:
It can also be software related. I had a Windows Home Server machine that died a while back. After I installed Lion, my fans were going full blast even after indexing. Went to check the logs and found that the WHS application I had (not compatible with Lion) was launching, not finding the server and then re-launching every 5 seconds. omg... Well, that thing got uninstalled so fast it would make your head spin.

I'd suggest turning off the machine, wait until the fans quit. Restart, immediately open Activity Monitor and watch it to see what's using the CPU when the fans start up again. My clue was that it was kernel task causing the fans to run full bore. Whereupon I opened up Console and checked the logs to find my issue.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Buying Question | New Apple Hardware uses Bluetooth 4.0 »