New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Scary clicking noise (say it isn't so).

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ronin67

ronin67 has a spectacular aura about

Been noticing that when I sit with my new MacBook Pro and I do move, I hear the occational clicking noise. Is this due to the internal hard drive stabilization when moving or a possible failing hard drive ? Any input would be deeply appreciated.

May God bless.

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Parking of the motion sensor ....don't sweat it, but keep backups anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Mine did that when i got mine and then it started happening more often and the computer started running slow. I took mine to the apple store and they replaced the HD and my new one does not click.
QUOTE Thanks
duncanbrodie1

duncanbrodie1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video

the word 'clicking' is a very general term. Depending on the type of 'clicking' it could be a number of things. Some bad. Most are normal though.
If it happens only when you move the computer then is most likely the sudden motion sensor parking the drive head to protect your data.
It could also just be the heads moving over the HDD.
Or it could be a failing HDD. But keep in mind that machines with moving parts (such as a spinning HDD) will make some noise.
But like 6string said. Do your backups regularly.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

If this worries you, download SMARTReporter and let that run. It will advise if the disk is failing.

corecode->SMARTReporter

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook pro can't connect to internet | 2011 macbook pro 15'" hard drive. »