New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Wet Macbook!! Does it have a chance to survive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

davidgummere

davidgummere is on a distinguished road

Just this afternoon, I was surfing the web on my laptop. And i mistakingly place my glass of water to the right of my laptop. Thats when it happened... My clumsiness got the best of me and I knocked the glass of water onto my laptop.. The water had spilled over my keyboard.

The hum noise my laptop makes while it's on began to silent itself and the screen went black.
My actions were as follows...

1. blot keyboard with a towel
2. clicked the power button a couple times
3. blot keyboard some more
4. unplugged the power cord and took the battery out
5. closed the laptop slightly and put it up like a tipi
6. let it sit upright on my desk where the sun was shining in from my window for 45 min

Right now my laptop is closed and sitting on my desk in the shade. I have NOT put the battery back in, nor have I plugged the power cord back in.
I'm going to wait a couple days before I attempt to boot it up.
The battery still has some juice in it. When i press the little white button. 2 out of the 5 little green lights come on.

So heres my question:
Is there anything else i can do? Any suggestions? Do you know what may have happened? Perhaps something fried or short-circuited? Have any of you guys experienced this unfortunate situation before?
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Unfortunately - it happens so often it has its own thread. You'll find what you're seeking here http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...ow-thread.html
QUOTE Thanks
Dutchlimits

Dutchlimits is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M

Don't put it in the shade but on a radiator or in the sun. Don't wait a couple days but atleast a week.

Life longer, save some headache, get yourself a mac
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

The first mistake you made was cleaning the keyboard(which presses buttons and continues the circuit flow), and clicked the power button, before disconnecting any power source to it. Without power running through it, you can physically dump your computer in water, without anything electrical going wrong with it...assuming you dry it afterwards.

When a water spill occurs, while your computer is on, the most important this to do is to turn the computer off as quickly as possible.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
When a water spill occurs, while your computer is on, the most important this to do is to turn the computer off as quickly as possible.
+1 and remove the battery (if possible).
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

It may have a chance to survive. My friends macbook pro was on in her kitchen and he 4 year old son spilled chocolate milk on it while it was on and she dried it out.
QUOTE Thanks
indianavtx

indianavtx is on a distinguished road

Happened to me once, knocked a bottled water over and it headed toward both the keyboard and speaker. Reflex action told me to grab it and turn it upside down as fast as I could. I'm convinced that's what saved it. Haven't had one ounce of trouble with my MBP since that happened either.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook G4 Refurbished | how long does it usually take after the status says prepared for shipment? »