New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Graphics upgrade possible?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tylerj

tylerj is on a distinguished road

I am looking at the new Macbooks and debating between the 15inch with the "AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR5 memory on 2.0GHz configuration; or AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory on 2.2GHz configuration"

My question is can I get the first one and then in a year upgrade? Are these upgradable components? I am very experienced with PCs but don't know anything about Macs.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

The one thing in the portables that we would like to be able to upgrade are the Graphics Cards and cant, So in short no unfortunately

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

All you can upgrade are the ram & hard drive.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
tylerj

tylerj is on a distinguished road

Crap. I really want a Macbook Pro but with a lack of upgrades it almost feels like I have to go top of the line. To spend the money on top of the line then have them come out with something in a few months sucks. Any advice? I am looking at the new 15 inch Pros
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerj View Post
Crap. I really want a Macbook Pro but with a lack of upgrades it almost feels like I have to go top of the line. To spend the money on top of the line then have them come out with something in a few months sucks. Any advice? I am looking at the new 15 inch Pros
That's pretty much the nature of computer purchases to begin with - but in this case - I don't think we'll see a step function performance increase like we did from the 2010 to 2011 models anytime soon. It will just be incremental improvements. The 2011 15 inch is an easy safe buy.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
That's pretty much the nature of computer purchases to begin with - but in this case - I don't think we'll see a step function performance increase like we did from the 2010 to 2011 models anytime soon. It will just be incremental improvements. The 2011 15 inch is an easy safe buy.
Yep, you're really stuck with any portable form factor. To be honest though, my old macbook pro was still functioning fine after three years, and it's still in use as a backup.

I have zero regrets with the 2011 mbp with the 1gb of video ram. None.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
I have to agree with this sentiment. My late model '06 top of the line MBP was still in the game all the way through the 2010 models. Not until the 2011 release of the 2nd gen iSeries chips from Intel have I seen my MBP appear as a dog compared to any of the last 4 years worth of releases.

I really don't see, and have not seen a word anywhere, on anything Intel may have in the pipeline to up the ante significantly. I suspect now is a good time to buy a top of the line MBP and be fairly confident of having a machine that will keep pace with the incremental increases we're likely to see for at least 2-3 years, if not another 4.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerj View Post
Crap. I really want a Macbook Pro but with a lack of upgrades it almost feels like I have to go top of the line.
If you were considering a Windows based laptop/notebook...I don't think you would have a lot of upgrade choices either. Lack of upgrades is sort of the nature of most modern notebook computers.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I guess my question is what you intend to do with it. If you're a hardcore gamer, look elsewhere (and I'd actually point you to a nice, custom desktop PC). If you just intend to play the occasional game or 3D accelerated productivity package, I think either GPU will do just fine and remain useful for at least the average 3 year lifespan of a notebook.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading from a Black MacBook to a 15" MBP (I think) | Airport not Detected - Macbook A1181 2008 »