New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Rejects Mac Os X Install Disk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

abhishek1108

abhishek1108 is on a distinguished road

Hi

I have a Early 2008 black macbook. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 250 GB, 2 GB Ram; Running Mac OS X 10.5.8
-I am trying to format my mac but the install disk(grey colored disk came bundled) does not mount and ejects after 4-5 seconds.
-I reset the SMC but the problem persists. (don't know how to make out if the smc was reset; just followed the procedure mentioned on the apple website)
-Tried mounting another audio CD which played perfectly.
-Inserted the install disk and shut down the machine before it could eject and restarted the machine holding down the D key for AHT, the cd spun a few times, and the disk ejected. Then AHT started and went on for 4-5 minutes and then the machine shut down automatically. This happened twice.
-Tried the step mentioned above but this time with pressing 'C'. The disk ejected again after spinning a bit and mac started normally.

Whats wrong with the machine ? Any ideas please ? and what needs to be done.
QUOTE Thanks
abhishek1108

Hi

Not sure if its software or a hardware issue,

I have a Early 2008 black macbook. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 250 GB, 2 GB Ram; Running Mac OS X 10.5.8
-I am trying to format my mac but the install disk(grey colored disk came bundled) does not mount and ejects after 4-5 seconds.
-I reset the SMC but the problem persists. (don't know how to make out if the smc was reset; just followed the procedure mentioned on the apple website)
-Tried mounting another audio CD which played perfectly.
-Inserted the install disk and shut down the machine before it could eject and restarted the machine holding down the D key for AHT, the cd spun a few times, and the disk ejected. Then AHT started and went on for 4-5 minutes and then the machine shut down automatically. This happened twice.
-Tried the step mentioned above but this time with pressing 'C'. The disk ejected again after spinning a bit and mac started normally.

Whats wrong with the machine ? Any ideas please ? and what needs to be done.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did you look at the DVD and see if it's dirty or scratched? You said Gray DVD that came bundled with that exact Mac?

Sounds like the Optical drive is having issues reading the DVD. Try cleaning and report back.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Please do not Crosspost the same post in multiple forums. I merged them here. Let us know what I asked and we can better help you.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I've had that happen, if I remember correctly, with a dirty laser/sensor on the drive. Using a drive cleaning disk resolved the situation in my case. They're cheap, so it's worth a shot.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
abhishek1108

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Did you look at the DVD and see if it's dirty or scratched? You said Gray DVD that came bundled with that exact Mac?

Sounds like the Optical drive is having issues reading the DVD. Try cleaning and report back.
Yes thats correct. Its the Disk that came bundled. The disk is clean like new, i still wiped it and tried but no luck.

Also, since it plays other disks (read a Pink Floyd Audio CD), i doubt the problem is due to a dirty lens.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Don't be so sure. A DVD is a lot harder to read than a music CD. I have had literally 100's of DVD drives (I fix computers for people) read data CDs and Audio CD's but not a DVD.

Cleaning the Lens can not hurt. Give it a try.
QUOTE Thanks
abhishek1108

Quote:
Please do not Crosspost the same post in multiple forums. I merged them here. Let us know what I asked and we can better help you.
Thanks..
QUOTE Thanks
abhishek1108

Quote:
Don't be so sure. A DVD is a lot harder to read than a music CD. I have had literally 100's of DVD drives (I fix computers for people) read data CDs and Audio CD's but not a DVD.

K. I will give it a try and let you know. Thanks a ton.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:

Yep, the difference is really the density of the dots burned (or pressed) into the surface, and multiple layers. You start stacking up the density and any dirt on the sensor/lens, disk, or combination of the two will cause it to fail to read. CD's have a whole lot more 'slop' built into them in that regard.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook with Sims 1 | MacBookPro crash »