New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

help with new memory - works then forces manual shutdown

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wrightm

wrightm is an unknown at this point

Hello,
I have a macbook pro...about 1 year old 2.53GHZ 13".....has always worked fine..never had a problem.
Just upgraded to 8GB ram...put in patriot 1333 (needs a 1038 or something, but they said the higher speed should not matter).
Everything worked fine when starting up and memory was recognized. But when browsing internet, after a bit, the screen dimmed and froze and I got a message saying I needed to manually reset. Has happened a number of times since.
I'm guessing this is a memory problem? I made sure to discharge before installing.
Is it the version of this ram you think, or should I just try to exchange for a new chip and try again. It was pretty cheap - like $60 I believe but should work fine.
thanks,
Matt
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightm View Post
Hello,
I have a macbook pro...about 1 year old 2.53GHZ 13".....has always worked fine..never had a problem.
Just upgraded to 8GB ram...put in patriot 1333 (needs a 1038 or something, but they said the higher speed should not matter).
Everything worked fine when starting up and memory was recognized. But when browsing internet, after a bit, the screen dimmed and froze and I got a message saying I needed to manually reset. Has happened a number of times since.
I'm guessing this is a memory problem? I made sure to discharge before installing.
Is it the version of this ram you think, or should I just try to exchange for a new chip and try again. It was pretty cheap - like $60 I believe but should work fine.
thanks,
Matt
I believe the speed is 1066 see the link. Make sure the ram stick is right then
things will work
Top Models for Ram and Flash
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Make sure it is 1066 memory. Check out OWC memory specs. Macs are pretty fussy about compatible memory.

OWC OWC8566DDR3S8GP 8.0GB (4.0GB + 4.0GB Kit)... in stock at OWC

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
wrightm

Hi, thanks for the response...I was told that a faster RAm 1333 would not make any difference...it would still be the same speed as the 1060 but it would still work with the lower speeds.
But it looks like this may be the problem.
Or is it more likely faulty memory.
I got a good deal of $60 on these patriot cards so I'm not sure if I should try to re-order the same card or go with a 1060 memory.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You were told wrong. Faster memory in a machine with a bus designed for slower memory can and will cause problems. Return the modules and purchase the correct 1066 modules. Go to OWC as harry suggested and purchase from them.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

I've never had a lot of luck with Patriot RAM. I don't know if it's just cheap memory, or if they're trying to force ECC RAM on Mac users (ours use non-ECC). Regardless, I found a comparable offer from Buy.com - Kingston Apple 8GB Kit (2 X 4GB Modules) DDR3 1066MHz SODimm C7 iMac and Macbook Pro Memory that should work much better.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

would stick with Hynix or samsung brand.
QUOTE Thanks
Dutchlimits

Dutchlimits is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M

I recommend this, i've installed these a week ago and works perfectly. Not to expensive. (specs are in dutch sorry for that). Do you have DDR3?

~80 euro / 117 dollars

G.Skill 8 GB DDR3-1066 Kit (Light-Retail, for MacBook Pro/Air/iMac)

Modelnaam
FA-8500CL7D-8GBSQ

Totaalcapaciteit
8192 MB

Aantal modules

Bouwvorm
SO-DIMM

Type
SDRAM-DDR3

Standaard
DDR3 - 1066 (PC3 - 8500)

Timings
CAS Latency (CL) 7
RAS-to-CAS-Delay (tRCD) 7
RAS-Precharge-Time (tRP) 7
Row-Active-Time (tRAS) 20

Aansluiting
204-Pin

Organisatie
256Mx8

Spanning
1,5 Volt

Life longer, save some headache, get yourself a mac
QUOTE Thanks
wrightm

thanks for all the responses guys! I returned the faster patriot and went with that kingston from buy.com instead. Great deal....got it a couple days later..and it works perfect. Thank you so much!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how long does it usually take after the status says prepared for shipment? | New MacBookPro with hi res screen is low res when projected »