New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Air & HTC Desire Hotspot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gsmonkey

gsmonkey is on a distinguished road

My first post.........and its a call for help!!

Just got a new MBA and everything was going well, until I tried to use the wifi hotspot on my HTC Desire and it will not connect no matter what I do with the security settings.

Is it true that you cannot connect this way with Mac OS? Never had a problem with my old netbook on XP.

I'm a bit confused as I've seen some references to Mac OS not allowing this, but then some people have managed to connect with the Nexus S???
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You must create a wifi network on the HTC first - link.

If you are choosing WEP encryption, your Mac will probably not work with it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
gsmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
You must create a wifi network on the HTC first - link.

If you are choosing WEP encryption, your Mac will probably not work with it.
Yep - I've no problem setting up the wifi network on the HTC. I've used it for quite some time with my netbook, so quite OK on how to use it.

I've tried WEP, WPA and WPA2 (and no) security, all with no joy.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And what? You're not giving anyone much to go on. Does it see the network, doesn't connect to the network, get an error and what is it?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
gsmonkey

All sorted. For future reference of anybody with a similar problem. I found that you had to manually select the channel rather than leave it on Auto on the HTC Desire.

Now its a very nice mobile setup twinned with the MBA.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook pro 2010 . Any issues? | how to get rid of firefox icon on desktop ? »