New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

I Think My MBP Needs to be Cleaned Out

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kooler

Kooler is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP OS 10.6.8, 3.06 GHz Intel C2D, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM

Hello-
I use my MBP (about 1 year old with a unibody frame) in a place that accumulates a lot of dust and lint. the AC venting is responsible for all the dust and lint that accumulates on the desktops. Because since I have been at this place where I spend about 12-14 hours/day and the changes that I have noticed with my MBP, I am thinking it needs to be cleaned out/fans cleaned with compressed air using canned air and maybe some pipe cleaners.

Has anybody cleaned out their MacBook Pro? Any suggestions on how to try and lightly blow out the dust/lint and the lint balls in the fans? I took it to the Genius bar and they said they would not do it because I did not have the applecare and even if I did they would have me send it somewhere else.

the fans are not working, or are not able to keep the machine cooled when watching some online videos. The online videos are what real get it pretty hot, especially on the underside.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

How good are you at taking things apart and putting them back together? Also, can you follow detailed instructions? Both important questions if you wish to do the job yourself. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the step by step take apart instructions for your model. If you feel you're not capable of doing it, take your machine to an authorized Apple dealer/repair and pay them to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
Kooler

It actually is already acting like I tried to fix it. I do not even own a screwdriver the size I need to get the back off. Applecare is a joke. I was really disappointed. I can complain, but I guess they know what they are supposed to do. I can't say they know what they are doing, because if this guy did know what he was doing he sure fooled me. Everything had to be actually happening at that very second in time in order for him to check it. Can't a battery be checked for the part inside that requires a small battery to help run things like Flash? I could go on but it is a waste of time. I should say I still have a couple months of Applecare left.

Not sure why I did not get an Instant Notification about your reply to my post..
QUOTE Thanks
whatevs22

whatevs22 is on a distinguished road

If you still have Applecare left on it, won't the genius people clean it for you?
QUOTE Thanks
Kooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevs22 View Post
If you still have Applecare left on it, won't the genius people clean it for you?
Apple customer service has really changed since Mr. Jobs has expired. I seem to have noticed a big downfall in the service and willingness to do a good job at the Genius Bar since this time. Not sure if there is any relationship, but it seems to have declined around the time we lost Steve Jobs.

I have taken it to the Genius Bar several times and I do not know what to tell them to do. I bring the list of what it is doing. I have not had any success with cleaning it out for me (whatever this entails), I do know it is full of dust because of the environment I have used it in that goes without saying, I know the batteries are real low, especially the one that works with Adobe Flash, etc. I do not know what else to do.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Had a scare | Unfixable Backlight MB Pro A1286 »