New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

SyncMaster 226BW Not Displaying Native Resolution

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

walton12

walton12 is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone,

I have hooked up my Macbook (aluminum version) to a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW monitor using a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Female Adapter.

However, the best resolution I can achieve is 1280 x 1024. If I go higher than that, the monitor just goes black. If I set it to the native resolution (1680 x 1050), the monitor statics for a second, then goes black.

Any idea of what is happening?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I'm not 100% sure about this but when the screen goes black like that it is usually an indication that a setting is not correct.

I would check the refresh rates first. The manual I found online contains the following message "Check if the scanning ratio of the video screen is set to between 56 Hz ~ 75 Hz. (Do not exceed 75 Hz when using the maximum resolution.)"

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
walton12

The refresh rate is around 60hz.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Try running the Samsung in Clamshell mode. Also, you should be using a mini display port adapter to DVI not VGA. An analog signal is always of lower quality than a digital one.
QUOTE Thanks
walton12

so I need to get a DVI cable then as well?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yes, you would. You would be looking for a DVI-D cable with the adapter.

Or just get a combo cable - link.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
walton12

But shouldn't VGA also support 1680x1050?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Neither VGA nor DVI is going to support that resolution as long as the Samsung is attached and running in either "mirror" or "extended" desktop mode. It will default to the resolution of your MacBook. In order to display the Samsung at its native resolution (1680 x 1050) you will need to use clamshell mode. Did you read through my first reply and read the Apple KB article I referred you to?
QUOTE Thanks
walton12

I just tried running in clamshell mode, but the resolution is still the same, and won't go any higher.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Are you sure you're looking at all the selections for resolution in the display drop down box? You may have to scroll down or up to see all the available resolutions. I have the same Samsung Syncmaster and all I have to do is close my MacBook and run in clamshell mode and I get the full resolution of 1680 x 1050. I'm using a DVi connection.

Also try removing the Samsung, re-attach it and select "detect displays".
QUOTE Thanks
walton12

I do see the higher resolutions, including 1680 x 1050. But when I select those, the screen statics for a while, and then goes completely black. It appears that the resolution is not supported.

However, I am using a mini displayport to VGA. Could that be the problem? A limitation of VGA?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
However, I am using a mini displayport to VGA. Could that be the problem? A limitation of VGA?
To be honest, I have never tried running my Samsung via VGA. And I don't have the correct adapter on hand to test it out. As I stated, I'm using DVI and have no problem whatsoever. But again, that's operating clamshell style. If I switch to mirror or extended desktop mode, it automatically defaults to the MacBook native resolution.

If you feel up to it, buy a mini display port DVI adapter plus DVI cable and give it a try. Keep the receipts. If it doesn't work out, return them for a refund.

I just remembered... The Samsung came with two cables in the box, one for VGA the other for DVI. You may have to only buy a DVI adapter.
QUOTE Thanks
walton12

I just tried my friends mini displayport to DVI, and it worked! AND it worked without me putting the macbook into clamshell mode.
It looks like VGA just can't handle higher resolutions.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Great! Thanks for posting back and letting us know. DVI is the way to go as VGA is analog only. Have fun and visit often.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Spilled Hop Devil IPA on my MBP | Why does my computer freeze every time I open iTunes?! »