Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Macbook pro - Is it worth the money?
    Hello everyone! Im new here, and my english isnt very good, so bear with me!

Im looking at a 2nd hand macbook pro late 2009 unibody model with intel core 2 duo 2,26ghz, 2gb ram and 160gb.
    The laptop has 2-3 very light scratches on the lid, and has some minor scratches and 2 dents on the bottom. When you open the macbook pro itself, it is very clean, no scratches or dents. The laptop comes from a smoking-free home, and the battery lasts around 4-5 hours. Im about to pay around 900 dollars for it, and im planning to use it for three years from now. Is it worth the money? It has no Warranty , and as written i intend to use it for three years. Thanks in advance.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    The dents along the bottom would seem to indicate that it's been dropped, or at the very least, not well handled. I'd be concerned at that price point. What's your budget?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    i would save and buy a 2011 machine when you can afford it. that machine is quite underpowered these days.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

Right at the moment, i have no job so the 900 usd is my max.

In live in denmark, so we cant compare the danish price of a mbp to prices in USA. It is more like 1900 in denmark. I guess, if it had been dropped it would have gotten some scratches on the corners, which i cant find anywhere.

So please, ignore the price. My question is: Can i trust this laptop which is 1 year old for 3 years use? Its A 13" late 2009 macbook pro. Is there a big risk for it to crash? i mean, does this model have many problems?

Im in a bit of a hurry , so please i need an answer.

Specs:
    Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackster View Post
    Right at the moment, i have no job so the 900 usd is my max.

In live in denmark, so we cant compare the danish price of a mbp to prices in USA. It is more like 1900 in denmark. I guess, if it had been dropped it would have gotten some scratches on the corners, which i cant find anywhere.

So please, ignore the price. My question is: Can i trust this laptop which is 1 year old for 3 years use? Its A 13" late 2009 macbook pro. Is there a big risk for it to crash? i mean, does this model have many problems?
    I have one and it is fine. I think your only concern, assuming everything looks good on inspection, would be that the hard drive is in good working order. In a worst case scenario, you would have to replace it which is a very easy operation. Otherwise, if you like it, it's a worthy model. I'm typing on mine now. Best wishes. Thing is, for $1150 you could get the latest one out. If it were me, I'd wait to get the latest version because of the processor and ram.

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    In short I would say no. The dents are what concerns me the most, scratches are no big deal. Can you pst any pics? That might help.

Quote Originally Posted by tenashus1 View Post
    I have one and it is fine. I think your only concern, assuming everything looks good on inspection, would be that the hard drive is in good working order. In a worst case scenario, you would have to replace it which is a very easy operation. Otherwise, if you like it, it's a worthy model. I'm typing on mine now. Best wishes. Thing is, for $1150 you could get the latest one out. If it were me, I'd wait to get the latest version because of the processor and ram.
    Well, as told before it is around 1900$ in Denmark, and we have no refurbished store. Is it the exact same model you have? so you think i can rely on it?

Specs:
    If you have booted it up and tried it out, and it works well with no clicking sound from the hard drive, then it's a go. When I bought mine new, it was highly rated. The MBP is a very worthwhile unit. No problems encountered with mine. I replaced the hard drive and added 2 gb of ram. No issues. The screen is intact, and all of the keys are functional? If yes, then the unit itself is great. The other thing to keep in mind is the battery. At some point, depending upon its age, it would have to be replaced by Apple. Download CoconutBattery for Apple from the web to judge the condition of the battery.

Well, the battery lasts around 4-5 hours (starts saying 6 hours, but ends up at 4-5 hours) so it should be okay? The harddrive is fine, if something happens i have a replacement.

Specs:
    MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M
    If i were you i wouldn't do it. Would you buy a car for a reasonable high price with dents on it?

Look on ebay, there are plenty macbooks 13" for the same price without dents over there.
    Life longer, save some headache, get yourself a mac

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackster View Post
    Well, the battery lasts around 4-5 hours (starts saying 6 hours, but ends up at 4-5 hours) so it should be okay? The harddrive is fine, if something happens i have a replacement.
    Within 3 years the battery may need replacement depending upon how you use it. Mine is almost always plugged in, and is at 92%. You're getting a lot of no votes on this purchase here Hackster because of the dents, but if you've tried it out, everything functions well, and you're happy then do it. It sounds like you want it. Too bad you're so near and yet so far from a new 2011 model here in the states.

Danm! I really want a free economy state If it wasnt for this welfarestate, i could ahve gotten a cheap MBP Aswell

Specs:
    Well, I mean are they tinny tiny dents, or big ones?

Let's see, dents on the bottom would mean the plate that is removable with screws. Hum, does it look as if there is any internal damage? Have you removed the bottom plate to check that? The plate itself is pretty thin. Can't see em so I can't say. The answer to your original question remains that the 2009 MBP is a solid unit.

What about bargaining for a lower price because of the dent issue?

I already tried that. Its impossible though. I think i wont be satisfied by the design of it, if it has scratches and dents. So i think imma jump over this one.
    Thank you guys. Love you <3

Thread Information