New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Should I buy the 2011 MacBook Pro 13"?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Snarf

Snarf is on a distinguished road

Ok so I am a newly registered member just recently thinking about buying a MacBook Pro. I love MacBooks, always have enjoyed Apple products such as my iPhone, etc, but recently I've been looking around and noticing that a lot of people are saying that their 2011 MacBook Pros are becoming incredibly warm and noisy when doing mundane tasks such as browsing the web. So my question is, is it really that big of an annoyance? Should I still buy the 2011 version, or should I go with an older version such as the 2010? Please respond ASAP with your opinion
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
...but recently I've been looking around and noticing that a lot of people are saying that their 2011 MacBook Pros are becoming incredibly warm and noisy when doing mundane tasks such as browsing the web. So my question is, is it really that big of an annoyance? Should I still buy the 2011 version, or should I go with an older version such as the 2010? Please respond ASAP with your opinion
As far as the temps go...it doesn't really matter if you go with a 2010 or 2011...they're both going to be hot...and with the heat comes fan noise. They start to get hot when you are watching internet videos or gaming. It shouldn't get hot when you're just browsing internet forums, reading online newspapers (unless there's video), or various internet shopping sites (Craig's List, e-Bay, Apple.com, etc.).

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Snarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
As far as the temps go...it doesn't really matter if you go with a 2010 or 2011...they're both going to be hot...and with the heat comes fan noise. They start to get hot when you are watching internet videos or gaming. It shouldn't get hot when you're just browsing internet forums, reading online newspapers (unless there's video), or various internet shopping sites (Craig's List, e-Bay, Apple.com, etc.).

HTH,

- Nick
Thanks for the info, typically I don't really mind if they get too hot, I'm on an HP laptop right now, some 2011 model and it gets hot for the same reasons, doesn't really bother me but I've also heard of the MacBooks crashing from time to time, and I also just really want to know if it is a general good buy?
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Ok so I am a newly registered member just recently thinking about buying a MacBook Pro. I love MacBooks, always have enjoyed Apple products such as my iPhone, etc, but recently I've been looking around and noticing that a lot of people are saying that their 2011 MacBook Pros are becoming incredibly warm and noisy when doing mundane tasks such as browsing the web. So my question is, is it really that big of an annoyance? Should I still buy the 2011 version, or should I go with an older version such as the 2010? Please respond ASAP with your opinion

"They" said the same thing about the 2010 version. I think I can state with confidence that there are more satisfied buyers than not.

I'd be interested in a link to those 'reports' you mention - as I don't recall seeing anything like that - and I've spent quite a bit of time reading about Mac related news since I made the switch in January.
QUOTE Thanks
Snarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post

I'd be interested in a link to those 'reports' you mention - as I don't recall seeing anything like that - and I've spent quite a bit of time reading about Mac related news since I made the switch in January.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

All that.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:

I should have been more specific - I was referring to the post where you mentioned a problem with crashing. Comments about being overly warm - as I indicated - have been ongoing for more than just the 2011 version of the MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...but I've also heard of the MacBooks crashing from time to time, and I also just really want to know if it is a general good buy?
All computers "crash" from time to time. But that being said...in my experience MacBooks don't crash very often.

As far as the "good buy" question. You probably need to define this further...since Apple is the only manufacturer of Macintosh computers...and Apple STRICTLY controls pricing regardless of who sells them.

It's not like buying a Windows computer where you can choose from multiple manufacturers (Dell, Toshiba, HP, etc.)...and ask...is one manufacturers computer a good/better buy than the other brands.

If you want a Macintosh computer & use Mac OS X...you have to buy from Apple. So buying an Apple computer is always a good buy (or a bad buy)...since Apple is the only manufacturer.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Snarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
All computers "crash" from time to time. But that being said...in my experience MacBooks don't crash very often.

As far as the "good buy" question. You probably need to define this further...since Apple is the only manufacturer of Macintosh computers...and Apple STRICTLY controls pricing regardless of who sells them.

It's not like buying a Windows computer where you can choose from multiple manufacturers (Dell, Toshiba, HP, etc.)...and ask...is one manufacturers computer a good/better buy than the other brands.

If you want a Macintosh computer & use Mac OS X...you have to buy from Apple. So buying an Apple computer is always a good buy (or a bad buy)...since Apple is the only manufacturer.

- Nick
I'm just wondering if I'm going to be satisfied with a MacBook Pro 2011 13'' if I buy it. For me to be satisfied what I'm looking for is a sleek, portable, long lasting laptop that I can use throughout the day and it'll continue to work fast and efficiently
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Quote:
I'm just wondering if I'm going to be satisfied with a MacBook Pro 2011 13'' if I buy it. For me to be satisfied what I'm looking for is a sleek, portable, long lasting laptop that I can use throughout the day and it'll continue to work fast and efficiently
Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning I'm not sure how anyone but you can answer that for yourself. For whatever it's worth - I have the 15" 2011 and I find it to be exactly that. Only you can define satisfaction by whatever measure you decide to set. Go play with one at an Apple store and see what you think.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I'm just wondering if I'm going to be satisfied with a MacBook Pro 2011 13'' if I buy it.
No one can answer this but you!!!

But in reality...are you going to be happy/satisfied using Mac OS X? If so...then the MacBook will be fine. If not...then you won't be satisfied.

For you (which sounds like you've never owned a Macintosh computer before)...it's really more about being satisfied with the OS than the hardware.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
unixkorn

unixkorn is on a distinguished road

hi there.im also new in mac.just bought macbook pro 13'' last week.for your information,im very happy with my new machine.got no problem like pc,no hassle.im using pc for the last 15 years and had no regrets for switching to mac.i bought mbp for use in college btw.
but its your decision.its your money
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

hi,

Bought a 2011 13 inch last week and love it. I think you will be very satisfied once you get used to the differences between windows and OS X. Lets face it, MacBook Pros are the Rolls Royces of laptops.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook pro - Is it worth the money? | Safari problem »