New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Early 2011 MBP 13 has is hotter than my old MBP !?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrpink86

mrpink86 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

i recently bought a MBP 13" Early 2011 i7 and made a few tests with it. The result is a bit suprising for me : it seems like it's getting hotter than my old MBP Late 2008.

I just tried CPU-Test Download CPUTest 0.2 Free - Stress test a CPU and its cooling system - Softpedia and checked the temperatures :

Wow! I'm just using 50% CPU but getting 6000rpm while i have a CPU temperature of 194 degrees Fahrenheit.

Is this normal guys?

And if not, what can i do against it?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink86 View Post
Wow! I'm just using 50% CPU but getting 6000rpm while i have a CPU temperature of 194 degrees Fahrenheit.
Remember...CPU use % does not tell the whole story...you have to factor in GPU use as well. Such as when watching You-Tube videos or playing graphics intensive games.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Maybe I should apologize if this comes off the wrong way up front. Ok, done.

I would suggest you remove that software from your Mac, forget you ever heard of it and just use and enjoy your computer.

There really is no reason to be running that software on your Mac, nor on any Windows or Linux box that you are running at stock speeds.

Even from the page of your link, their own statement is:

Quote:
CPUTest may be used to verify stability when undervolting and overclocking CPUs.
All of this testing came about years ago from those of us overclocking and increasing the voltage applied to our CPU, GPU, RAM, motherboard, etc.

As one of those involved in overclocking from it's early days, imho, there is no need for any of this on any computer being run at stock speeds.

You have a computer now, with a CPU that's more than twice as fast as it's predecessor, faster bus speeds along with faster RAM and you wonder why the temp might be higher than a previous machine? Here is your answer.

With overclocking and temps, the purpose of our wanting to know temps when applying increasing voltages to our machines and the purpose of the tests we ran was to test the "stability" of the machine at those voltages (as noted in the quote from the software developer even). We didn't want our machines crashing during our favorite game or in the middle of encoding a video or anything else. It was to determine the highest "stable" overclock. It is/was not for temperature testing in and of itself. If our machine didn't crash during the test, then we were good. The only reason to pay attention to the temps, was to attempt to lower them so that we could apply even more voltage for higher overclocks.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Im with Bob on this one.

If your Mac starts to shut down unexpectedly, then you have issues with CPU cooling. since it isn't, you don't.

Stop worrying about temperatures.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

The Official "My MacBook/Air/Pro is overheating, what do I do?" Guide.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook G4 random shutdowns due to sticky power button | Mind Boggling External Display Problem...Help... »