New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

How can I close the lid on my MacBook Pro and still keep running?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ronin67

ronin67 has a spectacular aura about

Just picked up a 2011 15" MacBook Pro. However, I want to pick up the 27inch Apple LED monitor so I can get a bigger view when working at my computer desk. Can I close the lid of my MBP and still have the power on (is there any way to set this in preferences)? The reason I'm asking is because I ordered a larger keyboard to type on. So can I use the external keyboard, while the lid on the MBP is closed? I know this is a newby type question
but I just want to make sure. Thanks as always everyone.

May God bless.

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

caffeine and insomniaX.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
HelpdeskRules

HelpdeskRules is on a distinguished road

I have a MacBook that I connect up to a Mac USB Keyboard and an LG LED Display. When you close the lid on the MacBook it goes to sleep. A simple tap of a few keys on the keyboard and the MacBook wakes up but only displays on the monitor.

My Personal WebSite: www.helpdeskrules.co.uk - Follow me on Twitter: @helpdeskrules
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

+1 for Insomniax, but do remember you have it running if you go to move the 2011 MBP

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Why do you need to close it anyway ??

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks
HelpdeskRules

HelpdeskRules is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedropete View Post
Why do you need to close it anyway ??
I close the lid on my MacBook as my monitor is much larger so when at home I prefer to use the larger screen and by closing the lid, the MacBook screen goes off thus saving power etc.

My Personal WebSite: www.helpdeskrules.co.uk - Follow me on Twitter: @helpdeskrules
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpdeskRules View Post
I close the lid on my MacBook as my monitor is much larger so when at home I prefer to use the larger screen and by closing the lid, the MacBook screen goes off thus saving power etc.
Well - it certainly saves power - as closing the lid sends it to sleep !

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Well - it certainly saves power - as closing the lid sends it to sleep !
Not necessarily. Did you read the previous replies about using software to keep it awake and have you read the Apple KB article about how to use your MacBook and MacBook Pro in clamshell mode with an external monitor?
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Just make sure that when using it in clamshell mode, you unplug it when not using it. Keeping it plugged in all the time is not good for the battery. The cells need to be run continuously for good health. Trust me, I've been running my MacBook Pro in Clamshell mode for 3 years.

You don't need any extra software to run it this way, either. You just need to have the power plugged in, and to have your USB peripherals set to wake the MacBook with usage.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Malch

Malch is on a distinguished road

How likely is it for InsomniaX to cause hardware problems on a new MBP? Does it void AppleCare? Seems like running with InsomniaX wouldn't be any different from Clamshell mode (in terms of risk of overheating) as long as you turn off the display.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Why would you even want to use software to prevent your machine from sleeping if you intend to use it as a desktop and in clamshell mode? Neither method voids your warranty and running in clamshell mode does not harm the machine, otherwise Apple would say so.

I ran my MacBook like that for three years and it's fine. Never overheated once. The caveat here is that when running in clamshell mode you must be attached to AC power otherwise the external monitor will not come on.
QUOTE Thanks
Malch

Malch is on a distinguished road

I don't intend to use it with an external monitor in clamshell mode; that's why I was going to use InsomniaX. I only mentioned clamshell mode because it suggests that the InsomniaX warning (telling you it might cause overheating) need not be heeded. I'll probably end up using InsomniaX for playing music and recording lectures. Maybe for long downloads/uploads when I want to stow my computer away.

Thanks for answering my question!
QUOTE Thanks
stztech

stztech is on a distinguished road

Malch,

Have you tried connecting your Macbook to power and a keyboard/mouse combo when closing the lid?

By default, the Macbook can function when closed when it detects it has power, a keyboard (keyboard/mouse), and an external display. The keyboard and/or mouse (?, not sure if its one, the other, or both) is/are necessary to wake the computer when the lid is closed.

I've personally never tried to wake the computer when the macbook only has the keyboard/mouse and power attached. It may be worth a shot
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will adding memory help with this? | Just purchased a new MBP 13", adding SSD »