New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Trackpad on macbook pro won't click unless I press it hard.


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
olskar

 
Member Since: Oct 13, 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 8
olskar is on a distinguished road

olskar is offline
For several months now I have had a trackpad on my macbook pro 13" unibody that isn't possible to click with. I have tried opening it up and turning the torxscrew inside as I heard it might fix the problem, but without success.

If I press the trackpad down hard, it does click.

Anyone have any ideas for a solution to my problem?
QUOTE Thanks
Dutchlimits

 
Dutchlimits's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2010
Posts: 37
Dutchlimits is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M

Dutchlimits is offline
There could be something between it, have you cleaned it already?

Life longer, save some headache, get yourself a mac
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 28,156
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by olskar View Post
For several months now I have had a trackpad on my macbook pro 13" unibody that isn't possible to click with. I have tried opening it up and turning the torxscrew inside as I heard it might fix the problem, but without success.

If I press the trackpad down hard, it does click.

Anyone have any ideas for a solution to my problem?
Push on the bottom part of the trackpad (not the top). The trackpad is "hinged" at the top (the part nearest to the keyboard)...thus harder to press (at the top).

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
olskar

 
Member Since: Oct 13, 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 8
olskar is on a distinguished road

olskar is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Push on the bottom part of the trackpad (not the top). The trackpad is "hinged" at the top (the part nearest to the keyboard)...thus harder to press (at the top).

HTH,

- Nick
I'm sorry, i expressed myself fuzzy. It does click and I can hear it clicking. What I should have written is that the clicks is not being recognized on the computer unless I press really hard (no matter if I press on the upper or bottom part)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 28,156
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by olskar View Post
I'm sorry, i expressed myself fuzzy. It does click and I can hear it clicking. What I should have written is that the clicks is not being recognized on the computer unless I press really hard (no matter if I press on the upper or bottom part)
Ok...got ya!

You didn't mention the exact model of this MacBook...but in any case...if you happen to still have Applecare on it...have Apple check it out.

BTW...there were no liquid spills involved with this...were there??

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
olskar

 
Member Since: Oct 13, 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 8
olskar is on a distinguished road

olskar is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Push on the bottom part of the trackpad (not the top). The trackpad is "hinged" at the top (the part nearest to the keyboard)...thus harder to press (at the top).

HTH,

- Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Ok...got ya!

You didn't mention the exact model of this MacBook...but in any case...if you happen to still have Applecare on it...have Apple check it out.

BTW...there were no liquid spills involved with this...were there??

- Nick
It's a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009)

No, sadly I don't

Hah, and no liquid involved


When googling the issue I found an article that claims that "apple forums are filling with complaints from people who claim the glass-covered trackpad on their MacBook is failing to register their clicks" so I find it strange that it can be so hard finding a solution..




Link to the article:
New MacBook trackpad sparks flurry of complaints | News | PC Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Moss

 
Moss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 22, 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 370
Moss is a jewel in the roughMoss is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

Moss is offline
What happens if you just turn tap to click on in System Preferences? I know it doesn't solve your problem, but it'll give you the ability to click while we here at the forums (or Apple, for repair service) can think of a way to fix the problem...

Here's the path within SysPrefs to turn on tap to click just in case you don't know how:

Applications Folder-> System Preferences->Trackpad Pane->Clicking (Or tap to click, or something to this effect).

Hopefully this provides a temporary solution to alleviate the annoyance of having to press this hard, and to alleviate the pressure you're having to put on the trackpad to click.

Facebook|Twitter
If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!
QUOTE Thanks
olskar

 
Member Since: Oct 13, 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 8
olskar is on a distinguished road

olskar is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss View Post
What happens if you just turn tap to click on in System Preferences? I know it doesn't solve your problem, but it'll give you the ability to click while we here at the forums (or Apple, for repair service) can think of a way to fix the problem...

Here's the path within SysPrefs to turn on tap to click just in case you don't know how:

Applications Folder-> System Preferences->Trackpad Pane->Clicking (Or tap to click, or something to this effect).

Hopefully this provides a temporary solution to alleviate the annoyance of having to press this hard, and to alleviate the pressure you're having to put on the trackpad to click.

Thank you, yes I have tap to click turned on

And thanks for trying to think of a solution!
QUOTE Thanks
Moss

 
Moss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 22, 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 370
Moss is a jewel in the roughMoss is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

Moss is offline
I've read a few discussions on Apple's Support Community and there have been one or two people with a seemingly similar situation. This one looked to have a bit more information to read through than others I've seen. I saw multiple people suggesting a trip to the local Apple store. One person said he had improved results with different angles when clicking...

Hope something in here helps!

Facebook|Twitter
If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 28,156
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by olskar View Post
When googling the issue I found an article that claims that "apple forums are filling with complaints from people who claim the glass-covered trackpad on their MacBook is failing to register their clicks" so I find it strange that it can be so hard finding a solution..
When Googling a problem...you can almost always find others that have a similar problem. And if you continue to look...you start to fell like "everyone" is having the problem. But in reality...99.99% of users do not have a problem (or the vast majority of users)...leaving only 0.01% with a "possible problem".

From that 0.01% subtract the folks that are just confused or are having "user error issues"...and the number of folks with a "true problem" become very very small. So in this case...it may not be a problem that effects many users...thus the reason why it's hard to find a solution via Google.

Sorry for no real solution...just trying to give some perspective on why a solution may be hard to find.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
thurstmw

 
thurstmw's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 29, 2010
Location: BoCo
Posts: 295
thurstmw has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333

thurstmw is offline
I have seen this diagnosed before as the cause being a bulging battery. Does yours seem ok? Apple will usually comp a repair on a bulged battery.


Yes that is a grizzlycorn
QUOTE Thanks
chels

 
Member Since: Jul 22, 2012
Posts: 1
chels is on a distinguished road

chels is offline
I have a solution!

After trying everything the only thing that worked for me was to turn OFF "Tap to Click" in System Preferences>Trackpad..... Then try clicking/dragging/dropping items in your finder. Restart if need be. It should start working and then you can turn tap to click back on!

Voila!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« MacBook Pro - different USB ports? | How to recover data from an unrepairable disk »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Buying a MacBook Pro. Tarek Apple Notebooks 19 09-11-2010 03:59 PM
MacBook Pro Trackpad Jumpy and Erratic Movements!! Please Help webdesignkid OS X - Operating System 1 06-30-2010 08:41 PM
MacBook Pro hard drive with iBook g3 McRickles Apple Notebooks 3 04-29-2010 05:56 PM
External Hard Drive to use with PC & Macbook Pro JohnLee1988 Other Hardware and Peripherals 3 10-22-2009 09:39 PM
My Review of the WhiteBook, MacBook Pro 13", and MacBook Pro 15". chrismac Apple Notebooks 5 08-24-2009 05:17 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?