Macbook Pro Hard drive question.
    So I have a friend that has decided to purchase a Mac. (Finally ) Specifically a 15'' Macbook pro (2.2GHz.)

Now when ordering he came across these options for the hard drive

He asked me what he should go with and I told him to sacrifice a little bit of space and go with the faster drive. (It is doubtful that he will ever fill even half of a 500gb Hard drive.)

Later on his other friend told him "A faster hard drive will wear on itself harder and go out faster" and wants him to go with the 5400 rpm.

He is torn so I thought I would get the expert opinion from you guys to help him decide...

So, what is your advice?

Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Traybair View Post
    Later on his other friend told him "A faster hard drive will wear on itself harder and go out faster" and wants him to go with the 5400 rpm.
    Bunk. 7200rpm drives have been around since the year of the flood and there is no evidence to suggest that they are any less reliable than their 5400rpm counterparts.

Regardless, all mechanical hard drives are subject to failure. Fortunately, they're also cheap and easy to swap. So, I wouldn't factor in what might happen in the distant future as a consideration in this decision.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Central New York
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    Your friend's friend has no idea what he is talking about. Either one will last just as long as the other.
    Blog and Photo Gallery:

Currently running OS X 10.10

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I had never heard this and was a little confused by it.

My dad is a tech wizard of sorts and when I asked him he said the same thing as cwa107. Almost word for word. I actually looked at the username to see if it was my dad after reading it. lol

Thread Information