New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Backlight Cable Burnt

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mik3rickson

mik3rickson is on a distinguished road

So, as the title says, the black wire connecting to the backlight appears to have melted and was completely severed from the light itself.

My question is will I have to replace the entire cable, or would it be alright to just re-solder the wire to the backlight? Also, do you think there could be any damage to the inverter/inverter cord? They seem to be alright, but I am not sure.
QUOTE Thanks
Dutchlimits

Dutchlimits is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M

Photos might be helpfull to give you better information.

Life longer, save some headache, get yourself a mac
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Chances are if the wire melted something had to cause that to happen. It could be a bad inverter board or the backlight itself. Since the backlight is a CCFD type (LEDs do not use an inverter.) it could have shorted out although that would be rare. More than likely it's a bad inverter.

Since you have everything apart, I would change out the inverter, the cable, and the backlight.
QUOTE Thanks
mik3rickson

The backlight did actually work prior to me taking the machine apart, I just had to constantly turn the brightness up and down which would make that backlight flicker on and off, and occasionally stay on for a few minutes.

Any suggestions on which inverter cable I should be looking to get?

Mine looks nothing like the ones i've seen on ebay, such as this

922-7612 Macbook 13" Cable, Inverter | eBay

This is what I have
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (4).jpg (59.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (44.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg photo (2).jpg (51.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg photo (3).jpg (35.5 KB, 6 views)
QUOTE Thanks
mik3rickson

Disregard my last post, Ive figured out what is wrong with it.. Gonna replace the inverter/cable, thanks for the help everyone
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HD smart utility status: Failing | menu icons (menulets) on menu bar not appearing?!?!??!? »