New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Help wtih Gantt chart...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rooeey

rooeey is on a distinguished road

Can any one help m,e with a Gantt chart please ?
I have tried charts excell etc no good even Gantt project too complicated...
I need simple
Running MBP with office....
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

You'll need to be more specific regarding what you're trying to do. You say you tried it in Excel - and that wasn't working - and Microsoft Project is too complicated?

You can always make one graphically in Power Point. I do that all the time for a Tier 1 summary view.
QUOTE Thanks
rooeey

Hi and thanks...
I need to insert a Gantt chart into my word document as part of an assigment...
The gantt chart needs to be pretty simple ...
9 vertical rows showing tasks expressed alphabetically A through to I and
22 horizontal columns respresnted as 1 month each with in the chart the cost flow needs to be shown ...That is at the XY axis of the corresponding month and task
at the bottom of the chart the cumulative totals nbeed to be shown....
I can draw it by hand but tht look pretty crappy ......
No other data needs to be supplied...
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

For that you should be able to us Excel.
1) Setup your X-axis months
2) Use the Border and Fill Color tools to construct/outline your task bars
3) Insert Text as needed to complete

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooeey View Post
Hi and thanks...
I need to insert a Gantt chart into my word document as part of an assigment...
The gantt chart needs to be pretty simple ...
9 vertical rows showing tasks expressed alphabetically A through to I and
22 horizontal columns respresnted as 1 month each with in the chart the cost flow needs to be shown ...That is at the XY axis of the corresponding month and task
at the bottom of the chart the cumulative totals nbeed to be shown....
I can draw it by hand but tht look pretty crappy ......
No other data needs to be supplied...
Well project makes that a snap. If you don't like that - you can do it manually in Excel as RazorMac has suggested YouTube - Gantt Chart Tutorial Excel 2007-Mac - or give this a try - it looks pretty straightforward and is free.

Download GanttProject
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
Well project makes that a snap. If you don't like that - you can do it manually in Excel as RazorMac has suggested YouTube - Gantt Chart Tutorial Excel 2007-Mac - or give this a try - it looks pretty straightforward and is free.

Download GanttProject
Interesting link on the tutorial. Though, I think if you have Project it would be easier than using his method. I have to admit it is neat in a geeky kind of way.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

To be honest - I didn't watch it - I just took a quick googley look to see if there was any free project SW for the Mac - and it was in the search result. There are Excel gantt templates you can download - now that I think of it. In fact - I have one at work - that I never used - but it was pretty well done and might be perfect in this case. A search for gantt excel template will give him what he needs - most likely.
QUOTE Thanks
rooeey

Ok i did this in Excell and it looks ok....
How can i save this to my word document as part of the rest of my assignment which is in word....I tried copy paste no good just got workbook 1
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

You may want to print from Excel and save as a PDF, then insert the pdf into your Word doc. Also, you may want to download and try OmniGraffle. It does a pretty good job for building charts like Visio, and you should be able to save it right into a Word doc.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooeey View Post
Ok i did this in Excell and it looks ok....
How can i save this to my word document as part of the rest of my assignment which is in word....I tried copy paste no good just got workbook 1
Just paste it in as a picture - use 'paste special'.
QUOTE Thanks
JackieMB

JackieMB is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro

I personally would use FastTrack Schedule. It does Gantt charts beautifully.
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

$350 There has to be a less expensive way.

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« LCD replace with off brand? | Adding SSD to 2012 MBP »