Question CPU Usage during Netflix Streaming
    I recently got a new MacBook Pro about a month ago, and I've been enjoying it a lot I've been using it to stream movies over Netflix Instant Watch, and I have a concern. While I am doing this, I can hear that the fan speed has increased dramatically, I later found that it had been in excess of 6000 rpm and CPU usage had been way above normal (smcFanControl). The had been an increase in temperature as well (iStat). Is this normal? If not, what should I do? I don't have this problem with other video streaming websites, such as YouTube. I know it can't be good for my beloved MBP, can anyone help? Any advice would be much appreciated!

2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Netflix uses Silverlight, Microsoft's web plugin for delivering media and rich content (think of it as their answer to Flash). Such a plugin tends to use quite a bit of resources, especially if you're watching a video in fullscreen. An increase in temperature is "normal" in that increased CPU usage will naturally lead to an increase in internal temperature.

I stream content in Netflix quite regularly and have had no issues. You shouldn't either - there's nothing wrong with the increase and your Mac should be able to handle it.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    there's nothing wrong with the increase and your Mac should be able to handle it.
    I was running on battery power at the time, so I guess battery life was my primary concern, but I know I can't expect the same out of my battery if I'm streaming video. Thanks for your help!

Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    Plus, the new MBPs are using the integrated Intel HD graphics which will show a bigger CPU hit than when using a separate video card.

Still nothing to be concerned about. My other personal recommendation - remove iStat from your machine and just use your computer for everything you bought it for.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thread Information