New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Possible Logic Board failure?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

math

math is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Black Core2Duo 2.0ghz, 1gb RAM, 120gb HDD, Tiger

Hi, my lovely iBook G3 600 has died, and I am disconsolate It no longer recognises the hard drive - it started crashing intermittently and then not booting up into OSX (I just got the flashing question mark folder thing). I know it's the hard drive as I've tried booting from the Panther CD and it can't find the HD to install to.

Now, does this sound more likely to be a hard drive failure, or a problem with my logic board? As I said, I can boot the Panther installer from CD fine, and I can get into the OF screen in the usual way, but just no hard drive. I wondered if this is a common fault, or if anyone else has experienced it? I don't really want to be going to the massive trouble of taking it to pieces and trying another HD in it - which I'd have to buy, too - if it's still not going to work...

Any advice? BTW, the HD didn't seem to have any problems - repairing permissions and verifying worked fine, and Logic Express was running with no real problems before this...

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
rgivans

Quote:
Originally Posted by math
Hi, my lovely iBook G3 600 has died, and I am disconsolate It no longer recognises the hard drive - it started crashing intermittently and then not booting up into OSX (I just got the flashing question mark folder thing). I know it's the hard drive as I've tried booting from the Panther CD and it can't find the HD to install to.

Now, does this sound more likely to be a hard drive failure, or a problem with my logic board? As I said, I can boot the Panther installer from CD fine, and I can get into the OF screen in the usual way, but just no hard drive. I wondered if this is a common fault, or if anyone else has experienced it? I don't really want to be going to the massive trouble of taking it to pieces and trying another HD in it - which I'd have to buy, too - if it's still not going to work...

Any advice? BTW, the HD didn't seem to have any problems - repairing permissions and verifying worked fine, and Logic Express was running with no real problems before this...

Thanks in advance

I would say the Logic Board is bad man. My same laptop (iBook G3 600) does the same thing now. I bought 3 different HDs (just to be sure) and they all did the same thing and none of them would work on my laptop. So I would say our Logics are bad. I have seen a few on eBay for $149.99 buy it now. But Im just going to part mine out. Well I hope this helped and sorry to be the one to give you the bad news.
QUOTE Thanks
math

Thanks for the response mate Think I'll have a look round for a replacement logic board - will hopefully work out cheaper than replacing my entire iBook...

Thanks for the advice again, I'll just have to be sans Mac for a while!
QUOTE Thanks
rgivans

Quote:
Originally Posted by math
Thanks for the response mate Think I'll have a look round for a replacement logic board - will hopefully work out cheaper than replacing my entire iBook...

Thanks for the advice again, I'll just have to be sans Mac for a while!
Not a problem. Ill look around online for some too for ya. Ill post anything worth wild in this thread for you.
QUOTE Thanks
math

Woah - I don't know how this has happened but my iBook lives again! I'm sure it's a problem linked to powersaving when the battery is about to die; it just seems to not be able to re-wake the HDD. However, it's working ok at the moment, so fingers crossed, it's not completely shafted...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« viking ram upgrade | ibook from ebay »