New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

new macbook pro 15' gaming capability?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

papaya69

papaya69 is on a distinguished road

hey guys I was wondering if anyone can tell me the gaming capability of the new macbook pro 15" (the one with the 6750M graphics). I DON'T want a mac for gaming, cause I already have another laptop that can handle gaming fine, but I've decided that a mac has other features that would make it suitable for school in my opinion. But I'd like to know the gaming capability of a mac because if possible I'd like to enjoy it as a little something extra.

So for example if I wanna play, Cod, assassin's creed or bioshock (all those cool PC games nowadays) and I run it on bootcamp and dualboot windows on this mac, how's the quality?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I can't give you a direct comparison, but googling "6750M reviews" will probably give you a better idea of the equivalency.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

This doesn't belong in Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography. Moving thread.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
papaya69

I did and the 6750M should be the same as my current one if not better. But I was hoping if anyone can give me some feedback on the OS because I hear that even with the graphics card, running dualboot windows still hinders performance but I'd thought if anyone can confirm all this
QUOTE Thanks
Roelio

Roelio is on a distinguished road

I just got the i7 2.3 with 6750m and I just gamed a bit under OS X.. Call of duty and Singularity I find that the device get's to hot.. 95 C... But they run OK.. I keep playing the big games on my PC and some smaller games on the mac... It's just not made for that kinda stuff.. I saw a guy playing Crysis 2 under Bootcamp and had lower spec's than the 6750m. Check this out YouTube - ‪Crysis 2 campaign gameplay Macbook Pro 2011 15" 2.3Ghz AMD 6750‬‏
QUOTE Thanks
papaya69

thanks. So overall, it runs games pretty well on bootcamp? If so then my question is answered.
QUOTE Thanks
papaya69

wait does this guy have a 6750M or lower? I can't open the link now cause I'm currently in china where youtube is blocked but the link says he has a 6750m
QUOTE Thanks
Roelio

Roelio is on a distinguished road

Sorry this guy has the 6750m ..... But there is a movie of someone with a lower spec system that play's it too.
QUOTE Thanks
papaya69

also how much does the bootcamp cost?
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

boot camp is free, its Windows that you need to buy.

the 6750m will probably run most new games at medium graphics settings or lower comfortably.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

These links address what you're looking for

2011 MacBook Pro -- Hi Rez 3D gaming - for the 15".

13-inch Gaming Performance under Windows

AnandTech - The MacBook Pro Review (13 & 15-inch): 2011 Brings Sandy Bridge
QUOTE Thanks
papaya69

do you know about how much is the actual max. resolution (in numbers) it can run on?
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all

I believe the "Max" (and also the native) resolution is 2560 x 1440.

seems from Brian's links, that with high settings (NOT ultra, bear in mind) you will get just about playable framerates. 24 FPS in starcraft. that would be just about playable, though when anything busy comes on the screen you are likely to see a decrease and jittering;

turning the res down to 1920 x 1080 would see an increase in performance, and to be honest, you wont see a difference between the two resolutions.

So, in summary, comfortably playable at medium graphical settings, just about playable on high. Certainly very respectable scores.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
QUOTE Thanks
papaya69

hmm well about how good is the quality and everything on 1360 x 768? That's the best my current laptop can run games and it does so quite well. If the mac can do the same, then all is good
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

the lower the resolution, the better the performance.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why can't I post in the Buy/Sell/Trade Forum. | Noob help with MacBook pro - to buy or not to buy? »