New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Air Re-Install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hoodie

Hoodie is on a distinguished road

Hello

Recently, I've gone a bit messy with my new MacBook Air and it's started to get a bit slow. Now, there are countless amounts of programs, files and downloads from me trying out my mac.

I want to know if it would be possible to completely wipe my mac so it would seem like it's brand new? I've had a google search and I do have a super drive, but my macbook air neve came with a OS X disk, only that card thing. I've tried putting that in and installing it, but nothing happens after I install it?

Please explain!
QUOTE Thanks
Hoodie

Oh and P.S - I have the new macbook air not the older one
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You're supposed to boot your MacBook Air with the flash drive. Just reboot the machine with the flash drive inserted and hold down the OPTION key as soon as you hear the chime. Choose the flash drive as boot device. Once the Air boots from the flash drive, you can erase the SSD drive and reinstall Snow Leopard.

Having said the above, I strongly advise against erasing and reinstalling. Instead, download the free OnyX maintenance program and use it to perform the various cleanup scripts. (read the help file first)
QUOTE Thanks
Hoodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You're supposed to boot your MacBook Air with the flash drive. Just reboot the machine with the flash drive inserted and hold down the OPTION key as soon as you hear the chime. Choose the flash drive as boot device. Once the Air boots from the flash drive, you can erase the SSD drive and reinstall Snow Leopard.

Having said the above, I strongly advise against erasing and reinstalling. Instead, download the free OnyX maintenance program and use it to perform the various cleanup scripts. (read the help file first)
There would be too many files in unknown locations to not reinstall.. I simply had too much fun, and now I would really like to bring it back to original settings.

Is there any risks with reinstalling? Also, I have norton security, would I be able to re-install that?
QUOTE Thanks
Hoodie

Hello?

Anyone can reply?
QUOTE Thanks
Epurica

Epurica will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBA 2.13 Ghz, 4 Gb, 256 SSD

There is no risk to reinstalling but you will be loosing EVERYTHING!
If you have a licence for norton, yes, you will be able to reinstall it. Also, you don't really need it for Mac, check this thread here.
QUOTE Thanks
thurstmw

thurstmw has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333

To completely erase everything when you boot from your flash drive choose tools (? i think) and go to disk utility and format the drive then reinstall OSX.

Yes that is a grizzlycorn
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« once OSX Lion comes out... | Which dvd drive is in my 13" white macbook 1.83ghz »