New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New to macbook pro Do I get magic mouse or get used to keypad?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

velvetsan

velvetsan is on a distinguished road

Just received my macbook pro, like it but not keypad.
Do I get the magic mouse or get used to the macbook pro keyboard?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

Do you mean the trackpad?

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

You must be talking about the trackpad. There's a bit of getting used to with notebook pointing device, especially moving from desktop. But the Apple trackpad is one of the best available. I have used it with Photoshop and I think it rival a mouse in some cases.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I like it so much I have a magic trackpad.. well, or I use the wacom. Kind of depends on my mood.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Hoodie

Hoodie is on a distinguished road

When I was new to Apple & it's products, I bought a magic mouse because from past with PC's, I hated the pad that some computers came with. Although, now, I don't even use my magic mouse, the trackpad is awesome! So unique, easy to use and can do so many things.
QUOTE Thanks
Command Alt Ego

Command Alt Ego is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid-2010 15" MBP; late 2012 11" MBA; iPhone 5

I have a MacBook Pro and I use my trackpad exclusively. I also use a friend's iMac once in a while, and love the magic trackpad. My feeling is, the trackpad is only going to get better and better (supporting gestures; and it's great right now), and the world (certainly Apple) is probably moving in the direction of trackpad vs. mouse. You'll adapt to the trackpad pretty quickly and then you'll come to love the intuitiveness of the gestures.

If you're a serious gamer, though, I'd say using a mouse would give you more accuracy faster.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I also went out and bought a couple of mice when I first got my MBP. You know a smallish cheap one and one of those multi-button high dollar ones. Once you get used to the trackpad, the mice will sit there unused pretty much except for gaming.

Still wouldn't recommend a MM if you're looking for a mouse (and I've never owned one) - I'd get one that fits your hand with the combo of buttons you're looking for when gaming.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

The trackpad is great, and the magic mouse is reasonable (slightly uncomfortable, and the tracking is a bit poor in my opinion.)

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
prrs4me

prrs4me is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML

I'm another user that hated the trackpad on a pc laptop and so bought the magic mouse to go with my mbp. I never use it. The trackpad is so awesome that I just recently bought the magic trackpad to use with my iMac.
Give it a try. You can always get a magic mouse later on.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I highly recommend having both. The trackpad is fantastic - but there does come a time if you're doing a lot of work where the wrist feels it - and switching the mouse makes sense. There are still things that the mouse does better as well. On the weekends when working on a research project - I have the MM sitting next to my trackpad - and use them both depending on what I'm doing. They work great together.
QUOTE Thanks
gtirr

gtirr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 15" 2.4 GHz. Core i5 4GB 1067 MHz. DDR-3 Ram

Since I've never liked a trackpad on a notebook and always had a mouse,
the first thing I bought after a protective case was a Magic Mouse.
I can use the Trackpad somewhat, but the mouse is a lot easier for me
to navigate where I want to go.
Russ
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

I'm going the opposite way. Have been using my MBP 13 for more than a year. Recently hooked up to an external 22" monitor for clamshell usage. Now I have to remind myself to use more arm movements with a regular wireless mouse, not finger and wrist movements like with the trackpad.
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

Apple's trackpad is phenomenal compared to the touch pads on windows laptops. My fingers easily glide across the surface. The two finger scroll and the two finger secondary click is much easier than the scrolling function and the left/right button configuration on a PC.

I also considered the magic mouse when I got my MBP four and a half years ago, but I'm glad I didn't. Plus it's just one more accessory to take up space. I say stick with the trackpad for several weeks. If after that you still don't like it then get the magic mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
poisonivy1

poisonivy1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro,i5,snow leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
Apple's trackpad is phenomenal compared to the touch pads on windows laptops. My fingers easily glide across the surface. The two finger scroll and the two finger secondary click is much easier than the scrolling function and the left/right button configuration on a PC.

I also considered the magic mouse when I got my MBP four and a half years ago, but I'm glad I didn't. Plus it's just one more accessory to take up space. I say stick with the trackpad for several weeks. If after that you still don't like it then get the magic mouse.
i really fancy the magic mouse,im used to an external mouse as most track pads on pc are rubbish,however after reading this thread it occurs to me that i havent even tried my macs track pad,im so used to a mouse,il give the track pad a go as well
QUOTE Thanks
Dutchlimits

Dutchlimits is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M

I'm a owner of a Logitech Performance Mouse MX (Mac compatible). I like this mouse much better than the magic mouse, the magic mouse feels cheap to me compared to this mouse. Build quality is great, usb is very very small (which fits in the battery compartment when traveling).

Check it out:
Logitech - Performance Mouse MX

Life longer, save some headache, get yourself a mac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« White unibody MacBook memory recommendations | Mac book pro 15 retina »