New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

overheating problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crazypotatos

crazypotatos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD

Hi,

For the last week, id say ever since I installed my new harddrive, by macbook pro 13in mid 2009 is been getting really hot. Usually whenever I play Minecraft, Portal2, or do some video editing, it will get hot and I can hear the fans turn on, but it usually takes 10-15 minutes. Ever since I got this new drive it has been shorter, within 5 minutes. But the computer is only hot in the upper left hand corner by the power input and the little microphone holes. I'm guessing it is the CPU, I have no idea though. But its on the complete opposite side of the computer. Does a harddrive affect heat? its a 750gb seagate 7200rpm drive. But its on the complete opposite side, which i don't understand.

Thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Could be you need to reset the SMC. HOW TO

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Roelio

Roelio is on a distinguished road

You could try resettings the SMC but the major problem is that the airflow is just crap. There is no way to fix this it will always get hot when doing Heavy CPU/GPU related stuff.
Maybe it's the weather ? Here in Holland it was like 30 C and that made my system 10 C more then when it was 20 C.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New macbook pro 15" battery life | New harddisk w/ Snow Leopard in Macbook 1,1 »