New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Problems Connecting on Wireless with MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shytooth

shytooth is on a distinguished road

For the past week, connecting on my MacBook Pro has been really finicky. Sometimes, I can stay connected for hours at a time, but for the majority of the day my laptop doesn't seem to want to stay on the internet. The network I'm trying to connect to is the network at my house. Everyone else in the house connects without any problems, so it is either specific to my laptop, or to Macs since everyone else has a PC. I have been able to successfully connect for the past year to this very network, with absolutely no problems.

If i tell my Mac to turn Airport off, and then turn it back on, I will be reconnected. However, I will only be reconnected for about 30 seconds before I'm kicked right back off again. Sometimes if I move my laptop to another location, it might stay connected for about 20 minutes. I have also tried things like restarting my computer.

It is a mystery to me why I can't stay online, and how I can fix this. It is seriously driving me crazy.
QUOTE Thanks
shytooth

For the past week, connecting on my MacBook Pro has been really finicky. Sometimes, I can stay connected for hours at a time, but for the majority of the day my laptop doesn't seem to want to stay on the internet, despite the fact that the network is shown as connected with full bars. The network I'm trying to connect to is the network at my house. Everyone else in the house connects without any problems, so it is either specific to my laptop, or to Macs since everyone else has a PC. I have been able to successfully connect for the past year to this very network, with absolutely no problems.

If i tell my Mac to turn Airport off, and then turn it back on, I will be reconnected. However, I will only be reconnected for about 30 seconds (if that) before I'm kicked right back off again. Sometimes if I move my laptop to another location, it might stay connected for about 20 minutes. I have also tried things like restarting my computer.

It is a mystery to me why I can't stay online, and how I can fix this. It is seriously driving me crazy.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Merged threads.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
shytooth

Thank you, my connection went down right as I hit send, so as a result I double posted.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

There are lot's of potential causal factors. For starters - I'd direct you here. Mac-Forums Blog Networking Wireless Networking FAQ Read through that and then post back if the problem remains unsolvable. A couple of high level questions/considerations/conversation starters. Does this MacBook Pro exhibit this behavior on another network attached to a different wireless router? Do you have other wireless devices on this network?
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Yosemite, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

This could well be my story. This been happening to me on macbook pro as well. Two other windows computers run fine with no disconnect. It is an inconvenience as well. I am open to any suggestions.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
shytooth

Thank you for the link, I'll look through it as soon as I get a chance. To answer your questions, I have never had this problem on any router I've been connected to, but I would be interested to see if I do now since this problem never existed until recently. The two other computers connected to this particular router are both on wireless connections.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Not Charging! Need help ASAP! | Brower Issues »