New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Continuous System Shutdowns (Macbook)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mnc8881

mnc8881 is on a distinguished road

I tried looking around the forums but it seemed like I couldn't really find a thread that totally addressed my problem so I apologize if I've missed the thread somewhere.

Awhile ago, my macbook started to shutdown by itself. The message that pops up right before it does is the same message you'd get if you pressed the power button while logged on(Are you sure you want to shut down your computer now?). Usually, it won't pop up or become an issue if I am actively browsing/using the computer. It's if after a period I don't touch the keyboard or trackpad that the message will pop up. Before, if I set something on a key (fn, command, shift etc.) heavy enough to press it down I wouldn't get the notification but after a period of time, each subsequent key would stop having the effect of stopping the popup.

I have tried adjusting my Energy Saver settings but to no avail. I saw some people suggest to others with problems to look at the macbook's crash logs but I don't have any listed that seem to be recent if I am looking in the right location (more about this mac, software: logs) The problem started after a little drop of water went on the keyboard but it fell in a way that I could wipe it off fairly easily(which has happened before and everything has worked fine) without worrying that it totally seeped into the space between the keys. However the people that I have spoken with about that say that they think it's unlikely that that small of a drop could have caused any water damage. Any suggestions? I'm really not that computer savvy so any tips would help.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Try this:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
mnc8881

Thank you! However, if I've done it right (disconnect charger then batt. then pressing down power button for 5 sec.), it doesn't seemed to have fixed the problem. Earlier it had been shutting down fairly quickly after the message popped up asking if I wanted to shutdown but now the popup seems to remain on the screen for a longer time so I have longer to respond and hit cancel (though the timing on how long the message stays up before shutdown as well as how long after inactivity it takes to appear has always been sort of random since the issue started).

Some things I forgot to mention (though I have no idea if they are relevant): Occasionally after a shutdown, when I reboot, the desktop changes back to default instead of the picture folder I selected before. If I go to change it again, I have to repick the folder since it disappears from the desktop options. I am also on Mac OS X (v. 10.5.8). It is the 13-inch but from the 2009 period so I'm not sure if the random shutdown issues from earlier versions apply?
QUOTE Thanks
mschwertberger

mschwertberger is on a distinguished road

did you already find a solution? Having the same type of problem, including the drop of water.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
mnc8881

Hey sorry it took so long. In the end I'm not sure what the problem is for sure, but it stopped shutting down when I took out the battery. I think the battery was swelling and pressing on something, but when I took it out and used it just with an outlet the problem stopped for me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro 13' (Early 2011) fan problem. | Memory Upgrade: One slot not reading »