New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Can You Hear A . . .

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Marrk

Marrk is on a distinguished road

. . . "click" when you pick up your MacBook Pro? Like maybe the hard drive brake is engaging?

MacBook Pro 13.3" 2.66 GHz OS 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

HD motion sensor parking.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Yep...

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
HD motion sensor parking.
Thats what I thought. But I asked the question because I did not hear it until yesterday (after three months of ownership).

So, nothing to worry about.

Thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

It will only park if the movement is jolting enough, rather than a smooth fluid motion.
I used to hear it occasionally with my MBP, depending on how gentle I was picking it up, or more so, conscious of how I was picking it up.
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Quote:
It will only park if the movement is jolting enough, rather than a smooth fluid motion.
I used to hear it occasionally with my MBP, depending on how gentle I was picking it up, or more so, conscious of how I was picking it up.

Hmm. Well, I can't say that I'm picking it up this month any different from the way I was picking it up last month, but I'm backing up my files.

Thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
6string

Experiment a bit, you will see that it only takes the slightest change in the way you pick it up to trigger it.
Also, room noise will effect whether you hear it or not.
...and you have time machine on there, and you should always be backing up your files anyway
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Quote:
Experiment a bit, you will see that it only takes the slightest change in the way you pick it up to trigger it.
Also, room noise will effect whether you hear it or not.
...and you have time machine on there, and you should always be backing up your files anyway

Duly noted, 6. And you are quite right about backing up. However, my back up disk is connected by Firewire, and I often unplug it. I don't need TimeMachine to execute backups every hour. It becomes a pain in the tush.

QUOTE Thanks
6string

I don't back up every hour, or day for that matter either.
Pretty much, only if there is some major update or testing that I am doing, or if there is something that I add that I would be devastated if I lost, then I do a backup.
Otherwise, I perform a Time Machine backup and a clone around once a month.
This won't work for everyone, but for me, it has worked, apart from once, when I lost a music project I was working on that I thought I backed up but didn't.
Now, any time I make a change to any songs I'm working on, I do a quick backup.
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Quote:
I don't back up every hour, or day for that matter either.
Pretty much, only if there is some major update or testing that I am doing, or if there is something that I add that I would be devastated if I lost, then I do a backup.
Otherwise, I perform a Time Machine backup and a clone around once a month.
This won't work for everyone, but for me, it has worked, apart from once, when I lost a music project I was working on that I thought I backed up but didn't.
Now, any time I make a change to any songs I'm working on, I do a quick backup.

Is it possible to reschedule TimeMachine so it backs up daily or weekly instead of hourly?

QUOTE Thanks
6string

Here is one way.
Download TimeMachineEditor for Mac - Change the one-hour interval of Time Machine backups. MacUpdate.com

There are other methods, but I can't recall what they are.
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

i have a related question. Since I have changed to a different HDD from the original, I don't here this 'click' anymore. It is the same with the previous MBP 13" I had owned. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing. Just curious as to why the original but not the third party. But Apple uses third party HDD also. The first one from my MBP was a Seagate. My current MBP came with a Hitachi drive as original equipment. But since I replaced them I don't here the 'click' anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

It's possible that the HDD manufacturer uses a different parking method.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« White Uni-Body problem | External Bluray player for 13" MBP. »