New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro 2010 or 2011?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chomxxo

chomxxo is on a distinguished road

Hi there, I've got two choices. Based on our budget and best performance, which do you think is better for a photographer and web designer's laptop?

Macbook Pro 2010 (refurb)
13" screen
2.66ghz Core 2 Duo
8GM RAM
240GB OWC Extreme Pro SSD

Macbook Pro 2011
13" screen
2.3ghz Core i5
8GB RAM
320GB 5400RPM Hard drive

Both will be plugged into an external HD monitor also when it's used as a workstation. We may be able to afford a bump to Core i7 or a faster/larger HD on the new model. It looks like last year's model still has faster graphics. With an SSD, the refurb should have much faster disk I/O also.

So is the difference in processor performance worth it? Thanks in advance for your feedback
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

either will do nicely.

the refurb will feel alot faster than the 2011, but will do CPU intensive tasks alot slower (video encoding, rendering, and so on).

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Dutchlimits

Dutchlimits is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M

I would choose the 2011 model with the better CPU. You'll be able to upgrade to SSD whenever you want, you can't change the CPU.
QUOTE Thanks
Roelio

Roelio is on a distinguished road

If it doesn't cost a lot more, or same. I would go for the 2011...
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

I just got refurb 2011 i5 for a $1018! So would say watch for a refurb 2011. You will appreciate the faster processor and you can upgrade to he'd to a flash drive later when the prices come down.
QUOTE Thanks
ishtech

ishtech is on a distinguished road

Either machine will work nicely. If you spend more time on the web design side, the 2010 with the SSD will be noticeably faster. It doesn't take an i5 to run CODA or Dreamweaver.

I have friend who is a professional photographer who lives in Lightroom and Photoshop. When we were informally comparing performance, my i5 was faster, but the difference, except when running some of the filters wasn't all that noticeable. I suspect that with a SSD, the 2010 would be as fast, if not faster, most of the time.

The only area that we found that the i5 really pulled away was doing encoding, DVD rips, and rendering. If that is in your future, I'd go with the 2011 and save up to get a SSD. Bottom line, you'll be happy with either machine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Green Austerity Upgrade | getting a used macbook pro 17, what is needed to get settle down ? »