New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

USB not in port but still showing on desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sha

sha is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
I am hoping someone can help me with this very strange problem...
I got a new usb & plugged it into my MacBook Pro but it couldn't read it so I went into Disk Utility & erased it & changed the format to MS-DOS (FAT) then it didn't seem to work anyway so I gave up & ejected it. Now every time I turn on my MacBook the icon is still on my desktop! no matter how many times I eject it, when i restart, it is still there... Now the main problem for this is that I have my MacBook partitioned for windows (unfortunate necessity) so when i try to switch to windows it won't start up because "there is a usb plugged in"

Please can anyone help me to get rid of this piece of crap from my computer?

thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sha View Post
Hi there,
I am hoping someone can help me with this very strange problem...
I got a new usb & plugged it into my MacBook Pro but it couldn't read it so I went into Disk Utility & erased it & changed the format to MS-DOS (FAT) then it didn't seem to work anyway so I gave up & ejected it. Now every time I turn on my MacBook the icon is still on my desktop! no matter how many times I eject it, when i restart, it is still there... Now the main problem for this is that I have my MacBook partitioned for windows (unfortunate necessity) so when i try to switch to windows it won't start up because "there is a usb plugged in"
That's extremely odd. Try plugging something else into the USB port that the drive was plugged into. Perhaps that will force it to recognize that the drive isn't plugged in anymore.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Could it be possible that you duplicated the usb(fat) onto your MacHDD? Does it show up when you open up disk utility?

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
sha

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Could it be possible that you duplicated the usb(fat) onto your MacHDD? Does it show up when you open up disk utility?
Yes it shows up in disk utility... I can even drag folders/documents onto it...
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes it shows up in disk utility... I can even drag folders/documents onto it...
Well if it's not plugged in, yet shows up in Disk Utility AND is usable, then you are looking at something else entirely.

EDIT: Im wondering now if the reason you can't boot into Windows is because you formatted your Windows partition, not the USB drive. A screen cap of Disk Utility would be helpful.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

If you did copy the usb into the mac hdd, then you can simply remove the partition back to how it originally was. That should fix the problem with windows reading it as a usb, as well as removing it from the desktop.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
sha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Well if it's not plugged in, yet shows up in Disk Utility AND is usable, then you are looking at something else entirely.

EDIT: Im wondering now if the reason you can't boot into Windows is because you formatted your Windows partition, not the USB drive. A screen cap of Disk Utility would be helpful.
I think you might be onto something... I have attached a screen photo of disk utility as you suggested... if this is the case is there anyway to fix it that you know of?
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (113.5 KB, 16 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
I think you might be onto something... I have attached a screen photo of disk utility as you suggested... if this is the case is there anyway to fix it that you know of?
That definitely looks like you formatted over your Boot Camp partition. Can you post one last screen shot from Disk Utility? Highlight the drive (top line where it says Hitachi), then select Partition on the right. That will tell us if you have an unformatted partition there still, though I'm not certain that it will matter. Your Disk0S3 partition is formatted in the Mac file system, so if that was Boot Camp and you need something back off it, recovery will be very expensive (we're talking hundreds, if not thousands of dollars) if even possible. Disk Warrior might be able to recover it, but I don't have any personal experience with using it.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
sha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
That definitely looks like you formatted over your Boot Camp partition. Can you post one last screen shot from Disk Utility? Highlight the drive (top line where it says Hitachi), then select Partition on the right. That will tell us if you have an unformatted partition there still, though I'm not certain that it will matter. Your Disk0S3 partition is formatted in the Mac file system, so if that was Boot Camp and you need something back off it, recovery will be very expensive (we're talking hundreds, if not thousands of dollars) if even possible. Disk Warrior might be able to recover it, but I don't have any personal experience with using it.
Ok, so i have attached the screen shot & I think you are right...
Luckily I didn't have a whole lot of stuff saved on the windows side...
so i guess i can fix the partition & re-install windows, do i need to un-partition it first & then do the whole thing fresh?. Do you think partitioning it is this best option or would i be better off getting one of those programs like fusion?

I have also attached another screen shot - every time i switch on my computer now this finder window is open..? Do you know of any reason why this would be happening?

& just one more question - my laptop keeps switching itself off! even when there is like over 25% battery left...? does this mean I need a new battery? My Macbook is nearly 3 years old.

Thank you so much for your advice, i really appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (114.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: png Picture 2.png (73.5 KB, 13 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I'll leave the Windows partitioning questions for others to answer or at least till I am more awake. As for the Finder window opening at startup try the following:

Before you shut down the next time close any windows that you do not what open the next time you start the computer. When you start up again the desktop should appear the way you last left it. you should be able to try this by just logging out then back in. If the problem continues beyond the next startup something else is happening.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Ok, so i have attached the screen shot & I think you are right...
Luckily I didn't have a whole lot of stuff saved on the windows side...
so i guess i can fix the partition & re-install windows, do i need to un-partition it first & then do the whole thing fresh?. Do you think partitioning it is this best option or would i be better off getting one of those programs like fusion?
No doubt about it… you formatted the Boot Camp partition. You should delete that, resize the primary to take up the whole space again so you have just one, then re-run the BC assistant to reinstall Windows.

Quote:
& just one more question - my laptop keeps switching itself off! even when there is like over 25% battery left...? does this mean I need a new battery? My Macbook is nearly 3 years old.

Thank you so much for your advice, i really appreciate it.
Possibly, though I'll defer to more experienced advice for that.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook shift keys malfunctioning | magsafe problem (hot connector/stops charging) »