New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

13" Pro, i5 or i7?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cals400ex

cals400ex is on a distinguished road

I am looking for a new macbook pro. I am not sure if the i7 is worth the upgrade or not. I am currently using bootcamp to run Windows 7. I NEED to be able to run Win 7. I use it for a tuning program in order to recalibrate "computers" on vehicles. I have been told that the i7 has problems with bootcamp. Is this true? I currently use a 2.26 macbook (with 4G of ram). I am not a gamer and I don't store much on my computer. I used it multiple times per day for random internet use or tuning automobiles. The smaller 13" computer is more portable when tuning vehicles, so I don't want the 15 or 17" computers. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
thurstmw

thurstmw has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333

You will see almost no improvement of the i7 over the i5. Go for the i5 and use the saving for an SSD if you are into that.

Yes that is a grizzlycorn
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

the i7 has no issues with bootcamp.

You will see a difference using an i7, but only if you are using multi-threaded applications. if you arent, go for the i5.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
cals400ex

I honestly do not know exactly what an SSD is? Does it completely replace the hardrive that is in the computer (meaning, do you take one out and then put a new SSD in?). I would love faster start-up times and faster loading times for applications if it was not terribly expensive.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cals400ex View Post
I honestly do not know exactly what an SSD is? Does it completely replace the hardrive that is in the computer (meaning, do you take one out and then put a new SSD in?). I would love faster start-up times and faster loading times for applications if it was not terribly expensive.
An SSD (or Solid State Disk) is like a hard disk with no moving parts. Since you don't have to wait for the heads to find data on the disk, it's an order of magnitude faster than your typical hard disk. Also, since it's not mechanical, it should prove to be much more reliable... although SSDs have issues of their own, particularly with the amount of write-cycles you can do. Even still, the firmware in most of the better drives have wear-leveling algorithms which should prove to make the drive much more reliable than any mechanical drive.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cals400ex

I guess I am confused if this disk just plugs into your computer or do you need to remove the back and it is placed internally?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I guess I am confused if this disk just plugs into your computer or do you need to remove the back and it is placed internally?
It's installed inside the computer (which is not rocket science). It would replace your main hard disk.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cals400ex

I appreciate your help! Do you know what these SSD's cost on average for a quality one? Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Quote:
I appreciate your help! Do you know what these SSD's cost on average for a quality one? Thanks again.
a 60GB on Amazon costs about £80.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

It varies greatly by capacity. Check http://otherworldcomouting.com , a company that specializes in Mac-centric upgrade kits.

QUOTE Thanks
cals400ex

If it will be replacing a 320GB hard drive, why would you suggest only a 60GB one?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
If it will be replacing a 320GB hard drive, why would you suggest only a 60GB one?
Probably because an SSD with that kind of capacity is going to be out of reach for so many people. If you look at OWC, their 240GB drive (which is actually quite competitively priced) is running around $460. The next step up is 500GB, which is $879.

QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy12

wheelguy12 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a Macbook Air, or even an iPad might better meet your needs. Maximum portability and built in SSD. If the iPad will run your app, consider waiting for the 3rd generation iPad late this year.

2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5, 8/300 gig 27" + 23" disp
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

He needs to run Windows 7, I doubt that the iPad will allow you to boot that OS

I seriously just don't see a requirement for an SSD for most users. Is it quick? Yep, it sure is. Is it expensive? Yep, it's that too. Will it really effect anything other than startup and application launch for most people? Probably not.

At least, this is my opinion on the issue (and I'll wait till I can get a reasonably priced SLC device before I go that route anyway )

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Honestly, what I would do is buy the base i7 model with the base memory and hdd space. That way, you can upgrade the regular hdd on your own to a 7200rpm drive...which will mean you now have 2 drive instead of one(upgrading it from Apple). Then, if you want, you can upgrade to a ssd in the future, and have other drives to use as backups.

If you have the means, get the best processor your wallet can handle. Do worry about the ram, 4gb's is more than fine for the average user. There actually is a great difference between the 2.3ghz-i5 and the 2.7-i7. At idle, the i7 already beats it. With the i7's turbo-boost mode at 3.4ghz, it's a no brainer that it will handle just about everything faster.

There are also other reasons to consider the i7: It comes with 4mb L3 cache instead of the 3mb of the i5. The hdd already comes stock at 500gb, as opposed to the 320gb of the i5.

I have a feeling that if you didn't know much about the ssd, you can do without it until the prices come down a way bit.

The MacBook Air, while a very nice computer, is also limiting in terms of changing the hdd, and ram. Although people do use it as their sole computer, it's not really meant to be the sole computer for all daily use.

I would either go for an i7, or wait until the back to school program starts. That way, you can recoup some of your money back.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What Is "Safe Start Up" Or "Safe Boot Up"? | Thumb Drive trouble. »