New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook air

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deejayknox

deejayknox is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookAir1,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz Number Of Processors:

Why does the macbook air gets hot and mean very hot? I love macs but its so annoy cause it gets so hot..
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

This doesn't belong in Apple Desktops. Moving thread.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
thurstmw

thurstmw has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333

Because it has a fairly large amount of processing power in an extremely small package.

Yes that is a grizzlycorn
QUOTE Thanks
deejayknox

Mac Specs: MacBookAir1,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz Number Of Processors:

Thanks.. its annoying tho. its gets so hot that its hard to hold my laptop sometimes
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy12

wheelguy12 is on a distinguished road

It should not get hot just sitting there browsing the Internet. There may be some program running in the background that is driving your processor to work very hard and that you don't want running. If so, you can find it and kill it off using Activity Monitor.

What model/year do you have and does it only happen when you are doing certain things?

2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5, 8/300 gig 27" + 23" disp
QUOTE Thanks
Epurica

Epurica will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBA 2.13 Ghz, 4 Gb, 256 SSD

What does hot mean? Do you use something to monitor the temperature? You can download iStat Menus (google will lead you the right way), it has 14 days trial I think.
CPU normal temperature should be 90 degrees Celsius at most. If it's less than that, it's fine. Mine is at about 50 while doing a little browsing, some text editing and a bit of chat, but spikes up to 80 or more if I play hd movies or edit some raw images or other intesive things.
Also, you should know the MacBook Air is not a laptop (eg: designed to be used on your lap) but a Notebook. If you keep it on your lap or on a surface that does not allow proper ventilation, it will be hotter than usual.
If you really want to keep it on your lap, you could buy an iLap or something like that, at least that's what I ended up doing because I couldn't stand the heat on my legs any longer
QUOTE Thanks
deejayknox

@wheelguy it gets hot when im just surfing the internet. when i start playing music its gets super hot also. i use activity monitor and i kill all apps that im not using but its just crazy. i love macs but im getting ****** at the sametime, thinking about getting a macbook pro.
Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
QUOTE Thanks
deejayknox

@Epuria it gets so hot that its warm to the touch dnt know if you leave your hand long enough if anything would happen. right now just surfing i can feel the heat on the keys itself. i really dont think it is normal to be this hot.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

There is a reason why Apple NEVER EVER refers to its notebook computers as "laptops."

For a variety of reasons -- not just the heat -- it is strongly advisable to NOT use a notebook computer on your lap for prolonged periods.
QUOTE Thanks
deejayknox

@Chas i usually have it in my lap.. Its sits on ny desk at home so i can do homework.. Im just tryibg to figure out if theres a way to prevent it from getting so hot. Btw its not the best notebook to use for djing.. Hopefully i dnt burn something up because my applecare has expired..
QUOTE Thanks
Epurica

Epurica will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBA 2.13 Ghz, 4 Gb, 256 SSD

As I said before, if you really want to keep it on your lap buy something like an iLap or some other laptop stand, otherwise it will get hot and you will feel it. I really don't know what you mean by hot if you can't say a number. It's normal to feel warm to the touch.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Bluray player for 13" MBP. | Faulty macbook ram slot »