New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Overwrite the onboard sound

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dadonda

dadonda is on a distinguished road

Hey guys.

I'v have had this problem for like a year now. Ther's a jackstick stuck inside the audio plugin and i'v tried everything! belive me.. As i'm noget going to pay the amount needed for a new mother board, i wanted to tjeck this out...

I'v heard that the Griffin iMic USB adaptor might be able to "overwrite" the onboard sound. And thereby giving me sound trough the USB.

Does anyone have any experience with this and does it work ?

Hope someone can help
QUOTE Thanks
Filterlab

Filterlab is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone 4, iPods, AirPort blah blah

Hi there.

If I'm reading your query correctly, you're wanting to output your system sound through USB.

This is automatically activated by Audio MIDI Setup when you connect via USB an audio device (say a DAC for example). As long as you have an appropriate audio device connected, USB will transmit audio data. Once the device is connected, you can select USB as an output from either Audio MIDI Setup directly (the 'Source' drop down menus as below) or from the Sound pane in System Preferences (select the device from the list).

Personally, I would remove the jackplug from the socket though, not a tricky task - if you're ok with opening your machine.

Audio MIDI Setup:

System Preferences Sound:

I just can't get enough of that Apple loveliness! Piled up they are, piled up around the house - like acrylic and aluminium testaments to Apple's genius. And they all work perfectly, obviously.
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy12

wheelguy12 is on a distinguished road

You could just get a good USB hub and get multiple benefits - 5 USB connectors, 2 of them up-powered, audio out, and video out for a 2nd monitor. All this, for the cost of 1 USB in and power plug - what's not to like?

Be sure to choose one that has video drivers for your flavor of OSX. For my 64 bit version, I like the new Kensington (not the old Kensington).

2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5, 8/300 gig 27" + 23" disp
QUOTE Thanks
dadonda

Thanks for the reply

I'm abit confused.

Filterlab, i'd rather not open op my mac, i'v heard its not a good idea + i'v never done it before .. But its possible ?

But if i understand you right - if i buy any audio USB device, like som random USB headphones and plug em in. i'l be able to "override" the onboard audio if i go and activate it?
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy12

wheelguy12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonda View Post
Thanks for the reply

I'm abit confused.

Filterlab, i'd rather not open op my mac, i'v heard its not a good idea + i'v never done it before .. But its possible ?

But if i understand you right - if i buy any audio USB device, like som random USB headphones and plug em in. i'l be able to "override" the onboard audio if i go and activate it?
Any Mac compatible USB audio device should add a 2nd audio device to your machine, which you then select as described above to use for output.

On my Mac, I have 3 audio out devices - internal, speakers in the Cinema display, and big external speakers through my Kensington audio-out port - all by just plugging 1 USB plug into my Mac.

I have to choose which one to use as only 1 can be emitting sound at a time. Usually, that would be my big external speakers, but when I unplug my laptop, the Mac internals are switched to automatically.

2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5, 8/300 gig 27" + 23" disp
QUOTE Thanks
dadonda

niccce and thanks

I thought that as long the jack pin was stuck inside, then my mac would automaticly overwride all other USB audio devices.. I guess i was wrong .. thx
QUOTE Thanks
Filterlab

Filterlab is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone 4, iPods, AirPort blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonda View Post
That's spot on my friend, anything USB audio will instantly activate the USB option as an audio output on System Preferences 'Sound' or Audio MIDI Setup.

I just can't get enough of that Apple loveliness! Piled up they are, piled up around the house - like acrylic and aluminium testaments to Apple's genius. And they all work perfectly, obviously.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help buying a macbook | Onyx says I need to repair my volume? »